Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody tried Wayne Jones cabinets???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PICK, Feb 15, 2002.

1. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Bass Player magazine gave them a very good wrap and they do look good. I recently re-read the review in June 2001 Bass Player!!

rated at 780watts for a 210 cabinet!!!!!!!!

www.waynejonesamplification.com.au

2. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Been waiting for this thread! There aren't many WJ users in the states yet. I talked to Dan Glenn (one of Wayne's endorsers) before I bought mine.
    I've had two WJ cabs for about 2 months now. I own an Eden D410XLT and two Acme low B2s (to give some cab context to what I'm going to say). I had been gigging with the Acmes running a Crown power tech 3 (760 watts / side into 4 ohms). Had all the standard Acme experiences - beautiful sound with killer bottom end - until you try to cut through a loud rock band. The Eden does great in this setting, cuts very well. The Eden AB/ed with the Acmes sounds nasty in comparison but it's far superior in the mix IMO - that's what makes Eden what it is. Then came the WJs. I'm still evaluating the sound because it is so different. To my ears playing alone they sounded less pleasing than the Acmes, and they didn't sound that loud. Then I tried them in that bar room loud rock band setting. Holy %*#T, I couldn't hide, I couldn't blend into the mix, I couldn't turn down enough to keep from killing people! I felt exposed and amateurish as a player. Everyone could hear everything - it was like playing naked. I was really uncomfortable. I've been learning to adjust though - I'm loving it. I use one WJ cab at rehearsal with a WT-400. Ultra-responsive - like a high-end sports car.
    S0...more details: they need power, though not so badly as the Acmes. What to do with 8 ohm cabs rated at 780 watts each?? I like to use in the neighborhood of 50-100% more power than the rated wattage - would I need to carry a power plant?? The Crown PT3 is 540 watts / side into 8 ohms, and it can't bridge into 4 ohms so daisy chaining cabs was a moot point. I checked out power amps, in exhaustive detail with weight and power, not cost, as the issue. I eventually, (and thanks to everyone (Bob Lee especially) who participated in the many great threads on the PLX series), settled on a QSC PLX 2402 which I mono bridge, daisy chaining the cabs - 2400 watts total into 4 ohms (1200 per cab). It's unfrikkinbelievable! And the QSC runs cool as a cucumber. Most recently I ditched my Aguilar DB659 and started using an Avalon U5 for a preamp. The attack is rock solid - better IMO than the Ag - maybe I'm hearing the tube in the Ag softening the edges of the notes?? The U5 is really a high-end direct box, but it has two XLR sends, one mic- and one line-level. I feed the QSC with the line-level send and go to the board with the mic-level. (The Ag sends are unbalanced 1/4" - that bugged me). The U5 has no conventional EQ capability, but it does have 6 selectable EQ pre-sets. I don't use them though, I'm running flat playing an MTD 535 (which has 3-way EQ on the bass). All of this is a work in progress and I'm still evaluating and experimenting. I haven't gigged yet with the Avalon as a pre - that's tonight.
    I've been playing for over 35 years and I haven't been this excited since I bought my original Fender Bassman in 1966.
    More later!
    Gantt

3. my bass teacha plays with a pair. Aguilar amps and status graphite basses too. He loves em. He's actually an endorser of all those companies. But if you're gonna shell out that kinda dough you better make sure that's the tone you want. It is probably the best cab on the market IMO, but I can't afford one right now.

4. I was on their website a few months ago just reading the specs.WOW!! They seem super duper high end(better be for that price!).

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I haven't played through them but I recently saw Spearhead play in a medium size club and their bassist Carl Young was using 4 Wayne Jones cabs, fed by an Ampeg SVP preamp and Crown power amp. I spent much of the night right up front by the stage and damn-that setup sounded beautiful-big, fat and clear. The bass was barely going through the PA but you could hear the same tone everywhere in the room without being overpowering.