Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody try a Z Vex Ooh Wah/Seek Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Taylor Livingston, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I was just looking around the <a href=http://zvex.com/>Zachary Vex website</a>, and some of the effects are very cool. The most intriguing to me was the Ooh Wah. It basically sounds like someone is switching on and off various filters in sych with the tempo of the song... You can program it in up to 8 steps of wah, which will be cycled as per your settings. Nuts. Actually, I just described the Seek Wah. The Ooh Wah does all that, and has another footswitch - the Random switch. This sends the sequence cycle into a random order (I think; maybe it just randomly picks intensities and forgets whatever settings you have). There are sound samples on the site. I highly recommend you at least download the sample of the Ooh Wah.

All of his effects are handmade and handpainted. For this reason, they are quite expensive. They may also contain some electronics that are expensive for him to buy. But I would still love to have one.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've tried both.
    They're funny, but not worth the money.
    Sadly, it seems to be the same for all zVex pedals.
    The wooly mammoth sound fine, but not 300 $ fine.

There is the exact same effect as the Seek Wah in my very cheap Korg multieffect and it covers the same applications. 'nough said.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    CJ, you need to come hang out at my place before I move to London. I have 7 Zvex pedals, including an Ooh-Wah. And I think they are definitely worth the money. It never ceases to amaze me that people buy a $4000 Fodera, plug it in to a $6000 Aguilar rig, use high quality cables, and then have the audacity to use a Boss pedal or equivalent in the signal chain. ;) Are they worth the money? Yes, to some, but not to others. I've found that Line6, Korg, Boss, etc., do a decent job of emulating the ZVex sound, but they don't capture the soul of the original. Not to mention most said companies uses buffered inputs and outputs, different output impedences, non-true bypass, and other funkiness that mess with your tone. Once again, it's a subtle thing, but once you learn to hear the difference you can never go back.

That's my two drachmas.

4. Jazz Ad

I tend to agree with you. I keep my Korg because I love it, but it now has a true bypass and is surrounded by a lot of expensive pedals.

Now, zvex effects are everything but clean sounding.
    They're all very lo-fi oriented, and (to my taste) not very musical.
    An extreme effect like the seekwah won't get used but on a song out of 30 or so.

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    An extreme effect like the seekwah won't get used but on a song out of 30 or so.

That's very true. I use it least of all my Zvex pedals. I use the Wooly Mammoth like crazy though. And, yeah, most of them do sound lo-fi analogy, but I love it. To each thier on, eh?

6. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    The reasons to come by abound, BTA. If only I had a car, I'd be right over...

Personally, I like effects (or whatever) with limitations (quirks when you're talking analog, I say). It gives the thing more character, and forces you to think around your limitations, or include them in your concept.

I kind of like to have pedals that are "extreme" (generally only usable for one thing). I look at envelope filters like this. They are seemingly only going to one thing (to me, anyway, the sound of an envelope filter by itself is a bit of a one-trick-pony, I guess until you get up to really expensive stuff, of which I have no knowledge). And I never use one by itself. But if you turn it on when you have other effects on, it's basically like the "f everything up" pedal, and just makes your sound go crazy. I can imagine that the Seek Wah could do the same - just add some weirdness to whatever you were doing. Also, I can think of some ways to use it really subtly. Anyway, I look forward to being able to try out yours, BTA (I'll be gentle, I promise!).

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Anytime, CJ. You got my number, and my house is within reasonable walking distance....

8. benevan

benevan Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
    What Korg unit is that? Is it the AX1B?

I got the Ooh Wah a couple of weeks ago but I've been so busy lately (moving into and renovating my new home) I've not even had a chance to sit down and mess around with it much. I'll try to spend some time on it this weekend and post my thoughts.

9. Jazz Ad

Pedal Random effect on the Korg AX-1B.
    With a bit of Exciter, you can mimic it pretty well.