1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody up for a Christmas vacation Build off

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Scoops, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Just planting this seed to see if there is any interest

Probably need to set some rules, but is anybody game?

reverendrally likes this.
  2. ah, too bad I have one going.

3. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I've got another build going but I've had a proof of concept EUBC at the back of my mind that I could knock out in a week or two.

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Do you mean finish by January 2nd?

5. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    I was thinking this is why we would need a few rules
    1) Start Saturday December 24th
    2) Finish before Jan 3rd
    3) No "finish" required - Meaning .....??....we'd have to figure this out......
    4) Proof that you are starting from scratch

Will_White likes this.
  6. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    OK

Maybe this is a bad idea.....I'm plum outta truss rods

7. Sharp5

Sharp5

Dec 6, 2014
    Eastern NC
    I got one I need to finish but I might be interested. I got some time off starting today.

8. Sharp5

Sharp5

Dec 6, 2014
    Eastern NC
    Me too.

9. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I've got one going too, and I have this weekend, and Monday as my vacation. Not a lot of time.

10. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Those timelines are ambitious! :D I like the idea though, its been a while since the last build challenge. Maybe just a "winter build challenge" instead of holiday vacation timeline? Just an idea. I have a scratch build on the go, but I also need to build a vintage style body to go with an existing neck, and aside from a drawing, I haven't started yet... :)

lbridenstine and Will_White like this.
  11. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    with NAMM just around the corner, all my focus is last minute prep work for the show. maybe next time ...

PeaveyPlayer likes this.
  12. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I'll do it.

13. gsnad2000

gsnad2000 Commercial User

Aug 6, 2011
    Boston
    Owner of Wrong Way Customs
    If it was a winter build off I'd definitely be in. But Christmas week the with kids off school? That ain't happening. :rollno:

14. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    I've got an incredibly long-delayed cab build to start, but it's a cab, and odds are it won't be done by Jan 3rd. Otherwise, not going to happen, I think. There's a bass drum I'd buy to try making one of those bass-drum based acoustic basses, but it's more of a drive than I want (otherwise in my wheelhouse - just the bass drum alone, missing some drum hardware I don't care about for the bass build, but more all there than some previous ones I've let go, and $25) - I don't know that it's worth 2 hours driving time round trip and yet another unfinished or unstarted project...

15. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Well I've got the wood I need to build wether we do this or not, I think a winter build contest would be good too but I think the tight timeline would make for an interesting challenge.

16. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Sounds like there's some interest, but some misgivings about the timeline. I get it
    So I'm game for a Winter build off. Let's see what this could get us

What would be the theme/constraining factors?

17. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I think a post-holiday budget build-off could be cool, but I'm always up for cheap and quick builds. Being as today is the first day of winter maybe go to the first day of spring, March 20th. Puts a little bit of a time constraint on it without making it a mad rush.

18. Scoops

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    I am me
    Will,
    1) Like like the time factor you set. Alot.
    2) I would prefer to do something different. Wasn't the last build off an economy thing?

Here's a thought....

Build something you've never built before. Throw out all of your templates and make a new design. A new original headstock. Abandon a building style for another. All of the above.

19. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    That's a perfect fit for my project. :D The body will be a one off to match an existing neck, but I'll be modifying the headstock. I'm further intrigued...

lbridenstine and Will_White like this.
  20. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Yeah the last build contest was the 100$ bass challenge, I like the build something starting from scratch that you've never done before idea with bonus points for overall uniqueness (So that someone couldn't just build a Fender copy even if they've never done a fender style build before), matches with what I was planning also.