1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody us LMI's FW74 wire for basses?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Mar 12, 2008.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  2. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    Ive used it, not bad, kind of a happy medium. I mostly use FW75 though, perfect size IMHO

3. I've got a wenge bass board I'll be fretting in the next couple of weeks. I'll be using Allied's FWSA guitar wire which is 0.019" wide so even more narrow than the LMI FW74. I've already use it on a Brazilian RW board for an acoustic guitar, no problems.

I normally glue the frets in with Titebond. For the wenge board I've filled the grain with epoxy, so that will prevent the glue from lodging in the pores when I wipe off the excess.

CA is another glue-in option, but it doesn't give you the kind of clean-up time that Titebond does.

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks it is not the thickness of the fret tang that is making me worry it is the crown width.

5. 0.08" is standard guitar wire....no worries. It is almost exactly what I used on my last acoustic fretboard.

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I know it is OK for a guitar but will it be wrong for a bass?.....t

7. OK....somehow I keep thinking you're worried that the fret will fall into the slot or something...

I think it depends on the application and your fretwork acumen. The bass I'm working on now will have pretty light-gauge strings; the fretboard will be ultra-level so the frets should need almost no levelling once they go in. I'm sure it will work fine.

But if you're not sure about the fretboard, and/or tend to take a fair bit off the top when you level the frets, the you might want to go with something taller (though not necessarily wider).

On my 8-string guitar I'm using a 0.085" for the bass string, tuned to the same low-E as a 4-banger, and it works fine with no buzzing issues at all. Standard guitar wire.

8. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    "OK....somehow I keep thinking you're worried that the fret will fall into the slot or something..."

No it is a nice 1/4 sawn Wenge board I think the fret slots are fine. ;)

I just wonder if frets that thin will be OK on a wide 5 bass.

9. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    It is a medium fret wire. It's pretty close to vintage Fender specifications. It will work just fine.

10. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Oh really thanks do you have the specs for the vintage fender wire. Thanks a lot..t