Anybody use a Pignose?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Aug 29, 2004.

1. I played some gigs out of town this weekend and borrowed rigs from other bands. one was a Pignose 100 watt all-tube amp with 2x15 (the same speaker configuration I use). I was skeptical because I had only heard of Pignose through their little toy amps and because my previous tube amp experiences were bad - I always found them woofy and not crisp enough. But this thing sounded FANTASTIC. Very punchy, and the natural overdriven edge was new to me. I sounded like Entwistle on Live at Leeds!

I was in Manhattan the next day and randomly wandered into a guitar shop, and they had the same head for $450 used. Then I discovered that this price is not out of the ordinary. So what's the catch? Are these reliable?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have a 40w guitar combo.

The Pignose tube stuff is made in China. IMHO it's ok if you rectify the two main cost cutting areas. 1 the tubes. 2 the speaker(s).
  4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Anybody use a Pignose?

In south Georgia we've been know to make Brunswick stew out of 'em! :D
  5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I've used several of the Pignose tube models. Also have a classic Pignose portable. They're all good amps. The B100V is a nice combo, I've used that one pretty extensively. Also the G40V tube amp, and the G60VR. They're "reliable" insofar as I've never had one blow up on me, other than that it's hard to say. The problem I had with the G40V was the cheap speaker. I looked for a replacement, only to discover that no other speaker would fit in the box, the space was too tight. So I chopped the box and turned it into a head. Nice little amp! Very versatile, and loud. Also very easy to modify, check for some ideas. The G40V actually sounded louder and more powerful than the G60VR. The B100 is a nice bass amp, it's probably comparable to an old Ampeg B-15. Again the speaker could use some improvement. I've never heard of a bass "head" though. And, 450 bucks actually sounds like a lot for one of those. Check eBay, chances are you can find one for about half that price.
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I almost bought one a couple years back. Never did find one local to try. Only complaint I heard was the output transformers are light
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000

I didn't wanna' say anything `cause I can't speak to the reliabilty.
    Unfortunately, I just don't use it that much :(

I DID get a pleasant surprise here recently during my "vacation"
    (read: working from home :rolleyes: ). About a month ago, I got an Eden
    CX110 purposely to mate up with Miss Piggy as a portable rig.
    "Portable tube rig". Ain't that an oxymoron? :p

I fired it up the other day and holy cow! The Eden took whatever the
    Pig could dish out. Clean and mean. I was playing a recently modified
    Yamaha RBX270F w/hot DiMarzio pups (on "11" - no volume controls)
    and TI Jazz Rounds. Fer grins, I set the volume on the Pignose to
    a little past 3/4 and started whompin' the open E. No distortion and
    louder `n heck through that Eden. I backed off quickly (2 in the morning,
    in the `burbs). I noticed a bit of skillet-heatin-up-to-fry-eggs funk
    comin' out of what (IMO) are the cheap transformers

IIRC, I paid a little over $400USD new for mine. I think it'd make a
    great practice rig or VERY small gig rig
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

This lady in Chicago loves hers.
  9. notduane, haven't seen your posts in a while. glad to see you're still around! (edit: and you're a mod... i guess i just never read the amp forum.)

i was talking about a pignose head with seperate cab, nonsqtr. if i got one i'd be using my own 2 15s so speaker quality would not be an issue. it was very light for a tube head, but there was more than enough volume. i don't even think i turned it past half. i'm not a fan of insane stage volume anyway; i like to let the PA do the work.

geez, at 22 i'm becoming more of an old rocker every day. it'll be funny if when i become a real geezer i sell my stuff for a 5-string and a 4x10.