1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody Use Flats on a Steinberger?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peabody, Sep 24, 2010.

1. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I just picked up a late 80's Steinberger XP (with active pickups). I remember several years ago I used to hate looking at these basses, but now I think the shape is kinda cool.

Anyway, I have flats on all of my other basses, but I'm thinking that rounds will probably work better on this bass. I was just wondering if anyone has or currently uses flats on their Steinberger. As I looked at strings on-line for this bass (the ball end ones), there are quite a few choices for rounds, but only a couple of choices for flats.

Just wondering....

2. David Cardoza

David Cardoza

Apr 16, 2004
    Just last year, I started using flats on my Steinberger XM-2...
    I'd had a lot of luck with them on other basses, and they are
    great on the Stieny... actually worked out much better for
    the Blues-oriented band (with horns) that I'm working with
    at the moment.

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Love 'em $40 a set

4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I've used them several times on my XL-2 - it's a mood thing. But they sound great when I do. I've been using Status strings for years and recommend them.

5. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    I used to use LaBella flats on my XP2. I finally got totally fed up with the limited selection, availability & price of double ball strings & bought a string adapter. With a little time invested learning to use it, I can mount any strings I like. If you go shopping for an adapter, pick up a few replacement "string claws". They occasionally break, always at an inconvenient time & are not hard to install. You can find both parts on eBay.

Glad to hear you've lost your head. :cool:

6. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I've had a few Steinbergers, XL-2s and L2s. I had put Labella flats on one, and another came with Status flats on it.

I hated the Status flats but I was looking for a classic reggae tone; they were very middy and would have been fine for a different situation, e.g. rock, etc.

The LaBellas were exactly what I was looking for, warm, gutsy and bouncy round sounding with tons of punch. The clarity and sustain of the Steinie gave the Labellas a somewhat different character than they have on Fenders, for example, very cool sounds.

7. No.
    A Steinberger deserves the tone it was meant to produce.
    If anything, it'll be your roundwound bass.
    Might get you out of (or into) a jam someday.

8. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I've had Chromes on my Steinberger for years. I ended up using a String Adapter because, like you, I found there to be very few choices out there in double ball flat wound strings.