Anybody use magnets to hold your pedals onto your pedal boards

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cchorney, Sep 17, 2017.

1. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Really there's not much to add to this after the title. Does anybody use magnets to hold your pedals onto your pedal boards?

FenderB likes this.
  2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    I'd be worried about it damaging the internal components, with magnets strong enough to provide similar hold to that offered by velcro.
    Depends on the pedals you're using, though

tlc1976, SunnBass, JeffC23 and 2 others like this.
  3. It sounds like one of those things that if it were practical, everyone would be doing it. Either there's a reason (or multiple reasons) people don't, or you're a genius. I can't wait to find out which!

cchorney, Spidey2112 and Blu bro like this.
  4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    I'm guessing to be strong enough your board would weigh a ton. Maybe not all pedals have enough metal in them to work?

alecduncan likes this.
  5. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Aren't most enclosures aluminum? Aluminum isn't attracted to magnets, right?

I could be wrong on one or both of those, I suppose...

Or are you attaching magnets to your pedals, too?

Regardless, anything digital, that's probably not a great idea. I doubt it would cause problems for analog, but not sure. Probably wouldn't be secure enough for my tastes though.

Gearhead17, scuzzy and Zane DeBord like this.
  6. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I use a magnet with my phone and mount it in my car. Same principle right? I think it's worth a try.

7. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    I think the problem with magnets is they are smooth so the pedals will tend to slide around when you put the board in a case or hold the board by the side. I don't see magnets being very practical when you toss your pedalboard case in your car or carry it by the handle.

Magnets are good for things pretty stationary and pedals and boards can take a beating from time to time.

8. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    Same here. However I don't carry my phone by the mount, throw it in my car, toss it on the ground, and stomp on it. :bassist:

packhowitzer likes this.
  9. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    I imagine a few Neodymiums would do the job on each pedal. Though you'd have to build the board around the pedals, and put opposite pole magnets on the pedals to match. Seems more hassle than just a bit of sticky velcro, but would be real slick if someone did it.

BadExample and gregmon79 like this.
  10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I like 5, 8, 10, and 12 string basses
    ZIP TIES!!!

upload_2017-9-17_22-58-40.jpeg

opivy3056, lowplaces, gebass6 and 5 others like this.
  11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    If you serve food at your next gig, you may want to consider plastic ware...

12. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    I'd be worried if you have digital effects. Pretty sure a magnet can erase memory.

lowplaces and gregmon79 like this.
  13. The problem I've had with velcro is the strength of the glue on the back of the velcro strips. Seeing as how both pedals and boards are usually made of non-magnetic materials, the question becomes: Is there any reason why the glue that holds the magnets in place would be any stronger than the glue on the velcro?

Honch likes this.
  14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Seems much simpler if you are dealing with issues from your pedals coming off. You can even drill little holes in the rails to feed the zip ties through so your pedals are turned in the direction you want them. And they are super cheap and easy to cut if you wish to rearrange. They come in multiple colors so you can even make it all pretty. :wideyed:

WalterBush and Plectrum72 like this.
  15. magnets in close proximity with electronic devices can and do interfere.

lowplaces, Honch and gregmon79 like this.
  16. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    This would be the main reason I think that has not and will not catch on. Plus as @ChubbyJerk pointed out, most pedals are aluminum and wouldn't stick to magnets. If you stuck a metal plate to the bottom then, sure. But overall, I think it's way more trouble than it would be worth. Heavy too. You would need some pretty strong connectivity for them to hold your pedals on your board well enough to keep them secure not only when in use but also when transporting and packing up. I think it would be slick as hell if someone did design a system to do this. But overall, you'd pretty much be changing everything up just so you could use magnets to secure your pedals.

But again, the biggest reason I see a problem, electronics and strong magnets don't usually work very well together IME.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Screw the plastic ware, as he's got that 'bass' covered, too...

... maybe just finger food, for future venues.

18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Opposites attract, likes repel... don't do this... ever put a magnet near a PC monitor... it really messes with them, almost to the point they become less sensitive to societal issues...

tbplayer59, Honch and J-Bassomatic like this.
  19. Ya most are aluminum, not magnetic.

20. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Crap you guys being up good points all around. Particularly, the digital effects might be impacted directly, the analog effects might get noise due to proximity with magnetic fields, and most pedals are aluminum which meas magnets wouldn't work anyway without attaching something to teh bottom - at which point I could just add velcro.

To which I say, bleh. I really wanted that idea to be an elegantly simple solution, and it seems to be neither elegant nor simple.

I like the concept behind the Chemistry Design Works Holeyboard Pedalboards, but because of their odd shape they don't fit in any inexpensive protective cases and the holes are too far apart. I could do something with pegboard and that way I could control the size to fit a standard pedalboard case, but I'd rather buy pre-made. Anyone know of an inexpensive hard case that has internal dimensions of 25.5" x 18" x 5.5"? That's the size of a Holeyboard Evolution Standard.