1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody use SIT Power Flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassclef112, Jul 26, 2012.

1. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have a bass in with my tech and will be putting a set of these on it. I've never tried them so it'll be a surprise to see how they sound. They actually look like rounds but with a tighter wrap. I'd like to hear your take. Does that "round" wind still give the flat character?

I've only started using SIT's some months ago and have tried Silencers, Power Steels and Power Nickels. So far, I like them, particularly the Silencers. A good bang for the buck IMO.

2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I hate to say it, but I bought a set of these last month and thought they were total crap. In fact, quite possibly the worst strings I've ever used. The low B and E were deader than dead from the get go, and the other three strings were really clanky. They were also extremely stiff, and felt like coarse sandpaper.

I can usually find a quality that I like in just about any string, but the only good quality these had was the price.

3. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I appreciate your candor. Yes, the price is indeed right and that made them attractive One thing I do like about SIT's is their stiffness - it's a preference. I cannot play Thomastiks for example - like rubber bands.

Well, somebody's buying them. Maybe (like me) they saw the price point and felt it was worth a look-see. I'm sure they work for that certain combination of bass/amp/music. I've had numerous high-end strings that sound like crap on one bass and sing on another (DR flats come to mind).

The string hunt is like a pickup hunt - until you put them on and try them you don't really know what you got. Thanks.

4. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I use them at times. They are groundwounds - rounds where the outer surface is ground down flat. So they have the flat surface feel but still with a bit of roundwound voice. I find them pretty similar to Chromes and usually put them on any fretless I have and sometimes on a fretted SB2 (which has a very bright, aggressive voice that can use some toning down). 4-string only for me and I've been happy with them -- but I know of plenty of people who don't like them as well.

I also like SIT Silencers which are compression wound - so closer to a round but with not quite as much finger/fret noise. I seem to be happiest in between flats & rounds :)

5. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I too noticed they weren't very flat at all when I looked at them, and I like Chromes myself. This particular bass I'm putting them on is REALLY bright, so some taming is in order. Could work out if they're not too agressive.

I totally understand love/hate deals with strings - they are a very objective thing. Different strokes.

Much to my wife's chagrin lately I've been accumulating a number of brands and types I don't usually use to try them out and see what happens. This is one of them.

6. I'm no expert by far, but am happy with the SIT Silencers. Jim at Atlanta Bass Gallery strung up the first set when I started playing 4 years ago and I was sold. They just felt good, sounded good to me, and didn't tear up my hands or basses -- Fender P and Jazz. Now with more experience I understand why they are a good compromise between rounds and flats. I have Chromes on a Squier Jazz for comparison and they are OK. Just removed Rotosound 66s from a newly acquired Highway One Precision because they had too much string noise and were too clanky...for me.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

That's because they are Semi Flat Pure Nickel.

I use them on my Wilkins P bass and they sound good and they are not aggressive strings.

SIT string endorser.

8. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    JAUQO III-X: "That's because they are Semi Flat Pure Nickel."

I know must've I read that at some point before buying. They've been awaiting asignment and in the interim I forgot about it. When I grabbed the pack and it said Power Flats I was a little surprised when I opened them and took a look. Cool enough. I'm anxious to hear how they sound with this bass - I only just got it and gigged it once with rounds.
    It's a '91 Yamaha RBX-800A, P/J with active pre.

Atlanta Dave:

+1 on the Silencers. I have them on several basses and I like how they sound.