Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody use SIT strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cb56, Apr 28, 2001.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I bought some of these from juststrings.com and after one gig I must say I was pretty impressed. $21 for a 5 string set of nickel wound with tapered B and E string.

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm using the Power Flats on my G&L. So far, I'm happy with them. They aren't Brite Flats, but GHS doesn't make the .100 sets any more. A bit grittier than the D'Addario Chromes, but not tinny.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I like 'em. I use the Rock Bright ss 4 sets from time to time. Nice feel, good sound and decent lasting qualities.

4. I used the Rock Brights on my jazz and took them off to put them on my fretless. They sound really nice on both instruments. I like them better on the fretless because they seem to have good upper register detail without sounding harsh.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Cool,
    I just never heard any bass players talk about them. Both guitar players in my band use them and swear by (not at) them. They seem like a pretty good value

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I just tried a set of Rock Brights, and, unfortunately, I'm not too impressed. They sound OK, kind of in the same class as Ernie Balls, but not nearly so good as, say, DR's. I use the open A and E a fair amount, and i don't like weird overtones on the open strings. I got weird overtones on the E of the Ernies and the E and A of the SIT's. I tried loosening them and making sure the string wasn't twisted, which sometimes helps, and I made sure they were wound on the posts right.

To be fair, the DR's, and the DM Blue Steels I have on my Precision cost nearly twice as much as the SIT's. They're worth it.

7. No doubt about it. DRs are much better stings, but for the price SIT do the job. I got my from HERM after his wife told him to get ride of all those stings :)

IMO the DM Blue Steels sound great but die to quickly. They last me two weeks at most. That can get kinda expensive.

8. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    This is the first time I've used Blue Steels, and I haven't had them on for too long. If they die that quickly for me, I'll have to find something else. They sure sound nice so far, though.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I agree that Blue Steels sound great and I also agree that they die pretty fast. They last about as long for me as Boomers, which I no longer use.

10. Guess we all know who wears the pants in this family.

11. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have tried the powerwounds on my Musicman and I liked them, they lasted longer than the bluesteels.
    They had a good feel to them and sounded punchy....