Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody use tapewounds on ABG?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Richard Lindsey, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    And if so, which ones? Right now I'm using TI Jazz Flats on my 6-string fretless ABG. These strings have some really beautiful qualities--for instance, melodic passages in the upper registers come out wonderfully--and they're disticntly better than the roundwounds and and half-rounds I've tried as alternatives so far, but I still find myself wishing on occasion that I could get a bit more booty. I've been thinking about tapewounds for a while, on the suggestion of one guitar repair guy I know, but because the diameters of those are so odd compared to "normal" strings, it would entail a new setup and probably another nut, so I've hesitated to pull the trigger. It took me a while to get the setup just right with the JFs, so I'm a tad reluctant to change unless it seems there's a good chance I can get closer to what I want.

So, tape-on-ABG people: if you made the switch, what did it do for your tone, plugged and unplugged? Did you lose acoustic volume unplugged? Did left hand vibrato become harder, easier, or neither? Which brand do you prefer? I know of only La Bella, Rotosound, and Fender.

And naturally, standard disclaimers about personal taste and preference apply and are in fact assumed. Thanks in advance.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been running Labella tapes on my Tacoma for several years now, and will likely never change. I like them that much!

3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    6 String fretless ABG!!!! OMG!!!! Could you possibly post some pics of this bass?

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Like these, you mean?:D

Attached Files:

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I used Labella tapewounds on my Athlete 6 string when I had it, and I loved the way they sounded. The volume was cut a bit, but not not as much as when I had TI Acousticores on the bass.

Playability didn't seem to be negatively affected, either. No problems with vibrato, or anything. The tension seemed to be a non-issue.

The c string seemed fine, too.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Thanks for some input from the only other 6 string ABGer I've come across!:bassist:

Yeah, I thought about the Acousticores for a minute too, but I'm sure that low tension just wouldn't work for me. In addition, the maker of my bass told me he really built it for medium strings and that very light ones wouldn't "drive the top" enough. Not sure what driving the top means, but anything noticeably lighter than the Jazz Flats wouldn't let me dig in enough, I think.

Carvin has killer prices on the La Bella 5 sets. I think I'll pick one up and get a high B (aka high C) from JustStrings or somebody.

Thanks again.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's what I did. Ordering the 6 string set is pretty expensive from Just Strings.

My suggestion is to go ahead and buy two high c strings, though. The shipping is the same, and that way you have a spare--just in case.

Chords sound great with the LaBellas, BTW. I think you'll dig 'em.

8. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    I've had really good luck with TI ABG strings on my Carvin. They won't stay in tune for the first week, so don't do any emergency switching.
    Anyway, they've been on there for about 3 years now- still have great tone, assuming you LIKE dead strings, like me.

9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I was looking for a faux upright bass sound and tried the Labellas. They were exactly what I was looking for. To me, they had a dry, dark sound, and they cut the finger noise down considerably.

10. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Just wondering how are tapewound for slaping?