Anybody Use The Ampeg SVT-15E?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Woofenstein, Aug 14, 2004.

1. After playing 10s for the last few years, I've found that I'm more satisfied with the deep/thumpy sound I get from my TNT115 then any of the combinations of 10s I've used in the past. I'm looking to get an entirely new rig consisting of a couple 15 cabs and a new head. I've decided on taking the Ampeg plunge for the head (likely an SVT-3PRO) as I'd like to add that signiture Ampeg mid to what I love about the sound of 15s...

I'm planning on grabbing one SVT-15E when I purchase the 3PRO and seeing how it sits in the mix before deciding on weather to buy another 15 to go with it. I've not played the 15E yet, so it's still up in the air. Just wondering if there is anyone out there using 15Es exclusively, or in a stack and what your thoughs on the cab are? i've noticed that from the specs it doesn't seem to have that high of RMS power handling...also the efficiency doesn't seem to be particularly good. Has volume ever been an issue w/ this cab? Thanks for any input!
  2. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    When I played my Trace V8 through one power handling didn't seem to be a real problem. I was suprised that a 200W cabinet could handle what I was putting into it. It seemed like a nice cab as it had a real nice meaty rumble to it - I must say I don't have experience with that many 15s though. Although depending on your band situation you might not want to use it alone as it probably won't cut through in a loud rock band.
  3. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I surely wouldnt recommend it as a standalone... but it would definately handle the 3Pro with or without another cab, due to the 8ohm impedance. 275W I believe.... 450 with another 8ohm cab.

You'd definately wanna try it out.... but it shouldnt be hard at all to find a place with a 3Pro and SVT-15E to try out. You'll probably want a 2x10 oe 4x10 to go with it.... but if your really sold on the tone of 15's, maybe you'll think of the SVT-215E.
  4. A 2x12 cab would give you the thump of a 15 with added mids. I run a 2x12, 1x15 rig myself and I have no problems cutting through the mix. When I use one cab it is the 2x12. I know this is not what you are asking but it just sounds to me that this is what you are looking for.
  5. I use the SVT15E and the SVT410HE with my SVTCL head, the SVT15 is a nice cab, very clear and punchy yet deep sounding. I used to have the SVT610HLF, far too boomy and dark sounding.

6. Thanks for all the comments... It sounds like the 15E will make a great bottom cab even if I play it and decide I need more punch. I' planning on buying the 15E and 3PRO first then seeing how it sits in the mix before deciding to buy another 15E to go with it. If I need more punch I'll likely get the 210HE. I'd love to get the 215, but that's just too big - I'm looking for something more portable then that!
  7. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I also have the SVT15e over a 410he and it really warms us the tone of the 410. I have taken the 15 cab to practice and used it by itself and was pleased with the way it sounded alone. I also have a friend that uses one with the Ampeg 210 cab with SVT3pro and really likes it.
  8. I used to own a 115e. I liked it a lot. I ran it off the CL.
  9. i played a gig with an svt3 and two 115 and it sounded ok but abit loose. i like the sound of 15´s but they didn´t sound as clear as trace or ebs does. a friend of mine used to have a 410+115+svt3 but he ended up selling the 410!
  10. Thanks for all the comments....anyone else? :)