Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anybody use the zeta fusion uprite?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by brooklynbassguy, Dec 26, 2005.

1. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I haven't found much on this instrument. Anybody use it, or have any opinions on it? What's a fair used price?

2. ikareru

ikareru

Jan 8, 2002
    Ferndale, MI
    I don't use the Zeta Fusion, but I do use the Zeta Jazz Uprite, so ymmv

I would definitly get another. It's fairly easy to get a traditional amplified upright sound from the zeta pickup, and it plays like a dream. The neck has a thinner profile than a standard upright, and has more of an 'E' neck than a 'D' neck.

I got mine used with an ata flight case for $2000 a while back.

3. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    What kind of pickup and bridge do you have on your Jazz Uprite?

4. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I have a Zeta. It is by far the worst piece of equipment ever. It puts out a fretless sound, not an upright. The fact that it puts our a fretless sound isn't bad, in and of itself. The fact that an 1100 Carvin puts out a better sound that the 3700 Zeta is just sad.

So it has a bad sound, big deal. It is also poorly made. The wood is second-par. The pre-amp is awful.

Ok, so the sound is bad, it is bad quality. To top it all off, zeta is an AWFUL company to deal with. They are unhelpful, and do not stand behind their product. Since it is a totally custom model, you HAVE to go through zeta.

For the money, go get yourself an Azola, they are very well made, have an amazing sound, and the Azolas are wonderful people.

5. ikareru

ikareru

Jan 8, 2002
    Ferndale, MI
    BBG - the pickup, on looking at their site, is different than on the Fusion. Not sure about the preamp tho...

Peter -- which model Zeta do you have? I can make mine sound close to my acoustic upright (with the K&K bass max), but I agree its much easier to make it sound like a horizontal fretless. I tend to dial in somewhere between the two, since it sits nicer in the mix with my band. Mine has a black finish, so I haven't noticed the wood issue.

I've only had a couple of dealings with Zeta, and they have been rather easy to deal with. I got a manual for my bass within a week of emailing them, and had some midi questions answered within a couple of days. I did get the impression, though, that they are understaffed and behind on orders.

I agree the preamp leaves abit to be desired -- it gets brittle and thin past 4th or 5th position on the G string, and it loses its tone quickly and without warning when the battery gets below a certain voltage. I work around the g string issue, and am pretty on top of my battery usage.

6. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I've got the Strados Fusion Uprite, which I swore never to use again. Maybe I got a bad egg, but it wouldn't matter because they won't replace it, and I'm sure as hell never buying another Zeta again. I do love my Pollmann though, so I am content.

7. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I played one in Hollywood while on tour and thought it was a really bad EUB. Sounds and feels nothing like an upright, doesn't even sound or feel like most EUBs.

8. I just want to chime in that I too had problems dealing with Zeta's "customer supoort". They are by far the absolute worst company I had ever dealt with. At least other companies eventually read their email or send your phone call to India. Zeta jsut doesn't answer the phone or their emails. My Zeta bass was out of commision for 6 months with a simple problem that they never actually fixed.

9. pnchad

pnchad Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2005
    I have had BSX, Eminence, Ampeg and now an NS4. Any of these blow away Zetas. I have tried them several times hoping to like them but found exactly what's stated above; crappy feel, cheap construction and nasty sound/tone. Other than that they're pretty nice, just not for me. :D