anybody use those micromesh abrasives to buff off a finish?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wilser, Jul 13, 2005.

1. I have been thinking of trying these on my next finish job. Has anybody had luck using these on lacquer or poly? any tips?
  2. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    A micromesh pad came with the Ryobi orbital sander mom bought. I thought it was some sort of super-duper sandpaper alternative, but upon trying it out, I found it buffed rather than stripped paint. I'm not sure what grade or grit or whatever it was, but it did a decent job. I'll stick to brown paper bag and the occasional 2000 grit sandpaper.
  3. thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    Pitch em. As teej will tell you, they are not any kind of miracle finishing tool. You can do more damage with those than you have time to repair. They work well, after you have used them for long enough to know what they can do.
  4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Are we talking about the very fine (1500+) sanding papers that Stew Mac and others sell? If so, I used them on a lacquer job for wet sanding and they did a fine job.
  5. These are similar, but go up to higher grits. According to the manufacturer, they are also used to restore the luster on airplane windshields. Grits go up to 12000 I think (but they are equivalent to about 3500 on regular sandpaper grits).
  6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    No, but I use these foam sanding pads from Wal-Mart to do my final, final sanding before I start spraying. I also use them to do the final scuff of the clear coat in between applications. In other words, I'll spray on 4 or 5 coats, let that dry for a few days, sand the body down, then use the sanding pads, then spray some more clear on. The pads are grey, about 4" x 6", about 3/16" thick and come in packs of two. They say "150" on the back, but they are much finer than that, probably somewhere between 400-600. I cut the pads in half when I use them. They're great. I usually buy most of what they have on the shelf everytime I'm in Wal-Mart.