1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody using a 1/4" adapter for a Speakon connector?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Schwinn, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    What do you guys think about using a 1/4" adapter for a Speakon connector?

My situation is this:

I want to try and run my rig in bridged mode so I can get more headroom. I would be connecting two 8 ohm cabs to each other and going into the power amp from one of the cabs. The problem is my cabs don't have Speakon connectors and the cable I have at hand is Speakon at one end and 1/4" at the other.

My question is this:

Would the adapter for the Speakon end be any less efficient than using a cable that has 1/4" connectors at both ends? I don't really want to modify the cable I have and I'm too broke after spending over $2000 on gear to buy another one.

Thanks!

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's fine man. That's what I do. You're not getting the contact that a speakon offers but really, it's fine. I use a small adapter that looks like just the speakon end by itself but you plug a 1/4" adapter into the back end. It stays on my SWR SM-500 all the time and I just connect and disconnect the 1/4" cable from that. Works great.

brad cook

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    If anything, the speakon-1/4" adapter would be more effecient. Speakons handle more power. 1/4" plugs were designed for those old low-current phone switchboards. That's why they call 'em phone plugs.

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I do it all the time. There's a cab at my rehearsal room that I'm welcome to use, but it has 1/4" only inputs. Bridging my SM-900 means ya gotta use the speakon output, otherwise you can use a 1/4" output on the left stereo channel - but running 8 ohms on just one side of the amp sorta defeats the purpose of lugging around the SM-900 in the first place :meh:

Speakon-to-1/4" adapter to the rescue! :)

When I run my full rig, it's like this: Bridged Speakon output of amp to Speakon input of Goliath III cab. 1/4" cable from 1/4" output jack on Goliath to 1/4" input on Avatar b410 cab.

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Well, not really. You still have the 1/4" in the chain so the chain can't be anymore efficient than the 1/4" itself ("A chain is only as strong as its weakest link"). But, it won't be any less efficient than if the cable was already 1/4" so you should be OK.

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    That's why I said "if anything."

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks everybody.

I just wanted to make sure using the adapter would be no worse than using a normal 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cable. Sounds like it isn't.

8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    No....you said: "If anything the speakon-1/4" adapter would be more efficient".

How can the 1/4" become more efficient than itself just because its now part of a speakon adapter? The adapter is still hindered by the limitations of the 1/4" plug.

You obviously didn't understand my previous explanation. I'm not totally sure you understood your own. :confused:

Bottom line: [Signal paths 101] The speakon-1/4" adapter will not, under any circumstances, be more efficient than the solitary 1/4" cable it may be used with. Only a true speakon-at both ends cable will achieve this. If there is a 1/4" plug at either end (with or without an adapter) that cable will never be more efficient than the 1/4" end's capabilities.

Class dismissed.

9. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Well, forget the adapter thing guys. I just made my own cable with two 1/4" plugs, 12 guage speaker wire, and some amateur soldering. If you don't count the soldering iron I bought, this only cost me $7.50. Much cheaper than one of those adapters which I couldn't find around here anyway.

The thing is...I don't think even think I really need this cable now! I tried running my rig in bridged mode just for the sh*t of it, while the 2 cabs were connected to the power amp and it worked fine. That is, it looks like I don't even need to daisy-chain the cabs to run in bridged mode like I thought. By reading the manual, I thought only one speaker output (for channel one) would be active.

I may go back and chain the cabs and only plug one cab into the power amp just so I can use that new cable tho!

Thanks again for the help.

10. You could also replace one of the inputs on your cab with a flush mount Speakon connector. I just bought two for six bucks on Ebay!

11. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't want to leave this out here uncorrected. Earlier I wrote:

Paul, from QSC, informed me that this is NOT a way to run in bridged-mono. The only way you can run bridged is by connecting cab #1 to the bridged-mono banana connectors or the speakon output for channel one. Then, you can daisy-chain cab #2 to cab#1 (if they are both 8 ohm cabs).

Just thought I should clear this up so no one reading this thread gets misinformation.
    :)

12. the speakon also needs to be wired correctly to run in bridged mono mode, check the QSC manual.