Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody using a 1/4" adapter for a Speakon connector?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Schwinn, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    What do you guys think about using a 1/4" adapter for a Speakon connector?

My situation is this:

I want to try and run my rig in bridged mode so I can get more headroom. I would be connecting two 8 ohm cabs to each other and going into the power amp from one of the cabs. The problem is my cabs don't have Speakon connectors and the cable I have at hand is Speakon at one end and 1/4" at the other.

My question is this:

Would the adapter for the Speakon end be any less efficient than using a cable that has 1/4" connectors at both ends? I don't really want to modify the cable I have and I'm too broke after spending over $2000 on gear to buy another one.

Thanks!

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's fine man. That's what I do. You're not getting the contact that a speakon offers but really, it's fine. I use a small adapter that looks like just the speakon end by itself but you plug a 1/4" adapter into the back end. It stays on my SWR SM-500 all the time and I just connect and disconnect the 1/4" cable from that. Works great.

brad cook

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    If anything, the speakon-1/4" adapter would be more effecient. Speakons handle more power. 1/4" plugs were designed for those old low-current phone switchboards. That's why they call 'em phone plugs.

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I do it all the time. There's a cab at my rehearsal room that I'm welcome to use, but it has 1/4" only inputs. Bridging my SM-900 means ya gotta use the speakon output, otherwise you can use a 1/4" output on the left stereo channel - but running 8 ohms on just one side of the amp sorta defeats the purpose of lugging around the SM-900 in the first place :meh:

Speakon-to-1/4" adapter to the rescue! :)

When I run my full rig, it's like this: Bridged Speakon output of amp to Speakon input of Goliath III cab. 1/4" cable from 1/4" output jack on Goliath to 1/4" input on Avatar b410 cab.

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Well, not really. You still have the 1/4" in the chain so the chain can't be anymore efficient than the 1/4" itself ("A chain is only as strong as its weakest link"). But, it won't be any less efficient than if the cable was already 1/4" so you should be OK.

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    That's why I said "if anything."

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks everybody.

I just wanted to make sure using the adapter would be no worse than using a normal 1/4" to 1/4" speaker cable. Sounds like it isn't.

8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    No....you said: "If anything the speakon-1/4" adapter would be more efficient".

How can the 1/4" become more efficient than itself just because its now part of a speakon adapter? The adapter is still hindered by the limitations of the 1/4" plug.

You obviously didn't understand my previous explanation. I'm not totally sure you understood your own. :confused:

Bottom line: [Signal paths 101] The speakon-1/4" adapter will not, under any circumstances, be more efficient than the solitary 1/4" cable it may be used with. Only a true speakon-at both ends cable will achieve this. If there is a 1/4" plug at either end (with or without an adapter) that cable will never be more efficient than the 1/4" end's capabilities.

Class dismissed.

9. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Well, forget the adapter thing guys. I just made my own cable with two 1/4" plugs, 12 guage speaker wire, and some amateur soldering. If you don't count the soldering iron I bought, this only cost me $7.50. Much cheaper than one of those adapters which I couldn't find around here anyway.

The thing is...I don't think even think I really need this cable now! I tried running my rig in bridged mode just for the sh*t of it, while the 2 cabs were connected to the power amp and it worked fine. That is, it looks like I don't even need to daisy-chain the cabs to run in bridged mode like I thought. By reading the manual, I thought only one speaker output (for channel one) would be active.

I may go back and chain the cabs and only plug one cab into the power amp just so I can use that new cable tho!

Thanks again for the help.

10. You could also replace one of the inputs on your cab with a flush mount Speakon connector. I just bought two for six bucks on Ebay!

11. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't want to leave this out here uncorrected. Earlier I wrote:

Paul, from QSC, informed me that this is NOT a way to run in bridged-mono. The only way you can run bridged is by connecting cab #1 to the bridged-mono banana connectors or the speakon output for channel one. Then, you can daisy-chain cab #2 to cab#1 (if they are both 8 ohm cabs).

Just thought I should clear this up so no one reading this thread gets misinformation.
    :)

12. the speakon also needs to be wired correctly to run in bridged mono mode, check the QSC manual.