Anybody using a 112, with a 115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pierce, Sep 24, 2004.

1. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    Or...have you tried it and hated the results give us your story. i dont see this combination talked about very much, and im curious, because i thought they compllimented each other nicely.

also, which brand /model of cabs , style of music, and amp type were you using.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's a rarely used combination as there's no real point in it. You use drivers of different sizes to get the different characteristics that each offers, which simply put is bigger for lower frequencies, smaller for higher frequencies and wider dispersion of same. The size differential should be at least a 4:1 ratio, though that tends to be more like 2:1 in bass applications. The responses of 12's and 15's have so much overlap there's little to recommend the combination. A fifteen and an eight is a much better choice.
  3. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I've seen some people using a Bergantino HT-112 on top of an HT-115...two very different cabs that (so they say) complement each other well. Never heard that setup in person though.
  4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i use an Avatar CB112H and CB115H { when i'm not using my Bergantino HT310 } ...
    they sound great as a combination .
    cabinets are tuned to 51 Hz. , but sound really deep and mellow .

the 15" has plenty of bottom and a real nice mid honk { tweeter
    is run at about 3 o'clock } .
    the 12" is mostly used as a side shot for my drummer , but he
    says it cuts thru better than any monitor he's tried .
    we play mostly blues and funk ...

both cabinets are rated at 600 watts @ 8 ohm , and i push them
    with a QSC RMX2450 power amp . :cool:
  5. Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    I use a huge Trace 15", which is very dark sounding by itself, together with a home build 12" which happens to be very bright for a 12", with good midrange.

For just solid grunting (old style rock), I can do with the Trace alone. Small jazz gigs are cool with the 12". Together they rock tha house. For me, the 15" gives great foundation, the 12" makes it cut through.

I do think not any 15 + 12 makes a great combination.
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    spent a long time with a Bagend S12 sitting on a S15. Used it with an AMP BH-260 (little version of the AMP that Thunderfunk is a copy of). Great combo
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Brad Johnson seems to really like his 1/12 1/15 combination.
  8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    +1 here, I use BagEnd "mini stacks" consisting of an S15 on the bottom and an S12 on top. Excellent setup, modular and reasonably portable.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Make that "love", jerry;)

As far as there being no point to it, different strokes... big time. Couldn't be more wrong in my case. Maybe this should be filed under "Bumblebees shouldn't be able to fly":D

Here's thread on what started my current rig:

Not only am I using a tiny 1-15 and 1-12, they're rear ported :)eek: ) AND they work great outside! Instead of trying to judge them based on specs and coming up with an equation on their likelyhood of sonic success I went the simpler route... I plugged them in.

The Bag End S15 series cab ( for electric bass) are a marvel IMO, both coax and full range. Adding the even more tiny Nahas 1-12 is such a perfect match it blew me away the first time I tried it and it's still blowing people away to this day. It doesn't "look" like it could possibly sound and loud as it does. And the tone? Geez.

I play 4,5 and 6 string basses. Sometimes with PA support, just as often not. My little big rig has held it's own in a bass/bass/ drums trio with a two 410 stack volumewise and again the tone... no contest. It really is my big rig.

They complement each other very well. The 15 does some things the 12 doesn't and vice versa. The 15 (no horn) has excellent lows and mids and pretty good highs, which the 12 extends. The 12 (with horn) has excellent highs, mids and pretty good lows... which is where the 15 comes in. IME you don't get that kind of overlap with most 1-10s or smaller.

Joey Nahas made the tiltback 1-12 I use and since I found the Grail he made a 1-15 similar to the Bag End S-15D but 3" deeper. Still rear ported, it's loaded with a cast frame Emminence driver that goes both lower and higher than the BE did. A great match for the Nahas 1-12. The bonus is that this 1-15/1-12 rig including amp weighs ~100 lb.
  10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I'm another happy bag end user
    i use a 1x15 and a 1x12 together and the sound is unreal - they have different midrange "voicings" which go together very well

but it really depends on the brand, as all cabs sound different
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've been messing around with a pair of single 12 coaxes (EA CX112, homemade w/Selenium driver) over a pair of EV 1 X 15 cabs, powered 800 watts/ per side. The overlap is where the magic is, in my experience. My EVs are different models;nothing matches, sounds amazing.