Anybody using a DiMarzio Model 1 in a P Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BOOZEROCKET, Jan 12, 2015.

1. BOOZEROCKET

BOOZEROCKET

Apr 8, 2014
    Hey is anybody using a DiMarzio Model 1 humbucker in the center pickup position of a P Bass? The Martin EB18 used one in that position but I've never had the pleasure of playing one. How does it sound? Looking to upgrade a vintage MIJ P Bass with a tele style single coil. Your thoughts?

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I believe if you use the search engine, you will find several threads on this setup, all based (pun intended) on Billy Sheehan's original P-bass with the mudbucker added at the neck. Very seldom has a mudbucker been used in the middle.

3. BOOZEROCKET

BOOZEROCKET

Apr 8, 2014
    Yes lots of folks using that pup at the neck. It's rare to find it elsewhere. That's my issue. I want to know how it's going to behave at the center. Just looking for an uncommon mod ya know? Perhaps I'll give those threads another look.

4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Really old Pedullas from the 1970s had a pair of DiMarzio Model 1 pickups...while I don't think either was quite in the P-Bass spot, they were closer than the pickups in all the Sheehan clone basses. Those Pedullas sounded great.

5. Bill Thompson

Bill Thompson

Sep 19, 2014
    The other bass that I've used the Model One in is my Epiphone upright bass. Of course, it was meant to sound like an upright, a step up from the Sidewinder pickup that was there. My only suggestion would be if you put it in the middle position, hook it up to a mini switch to give it series-single-coil-parallel options. You would have better tone control without having to play with the tone control. Cheers. ;^D.

6. The string spacing on a mudbucker is too narrow for the middle or bridge positions. It's just barely sufficient for the neck spot. You'd have a loud A and D, maybe enough G, and no low end.

7. Bill Thompson

Bill Thompson

Sep 19, 2014
    You're correct as far as the string spacing on the Model One, since it was meant to be a replacement for the Gibson EB-O pickup. The other option would be to use a Will Power neck pickup, where DiMarzio made the string spacing wider so it would fit a Fender-style bass. Cheers. ;^D.

jamro217 likes this.
  8. Thank you.

9. grisezd

grisezd

Oct 14, 2009
    Ohio
    I used a model one in the Jazz "neck" spot on a fretless thickened things up nicely.

10. BOOZEROCKET

BOOZEROCKET

Apr 8, 2014
    Thanks for the input. I ended up not doing the mod at all and resold the bass. The knucklehead I purchased it from on Reverb said the bass had a maple body. You could tell it wasn't maple literally 2 seconds after picking it up. That was the deciding factor for me in purchasing the bass so after that I was pretty disgusted.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021