Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody using a Warmoth Deluxe 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    These look pretty cool to me, but I'm concerned about B string clarity. I know a 34" B can be OK, but a lot of them are muddy. Ed Friedland told me he had a Warmoth fiver with a muddy B, which causes me yet more concern. Still, with the wide neck, steel bars, etc., I would hope it would be OK. Please let me know your experiences with these.

2. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    So, like nobody?

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    First, I don't have any Warmoth experience.
    I would just like to point out that on a custom parts bass, the clarity of the B-string (or lack of) can and will be determined by the choices you make for the components of the bass. The clarity of the B-string (and the other strings as well) will be determined by:
    • Neck wood(s) and construction
    • Body wood(s) and construction
    • Choices of hardware (especially the bridge)
    • Electronics choices (pickup(s) and preamp)
    • Choice of strings
    • and whatever else I forgot
    So, with all of these variables, maybe a good place to start would be asking Ed Friedland how he thinks he could improve the muddy B-string on his Warmoth.

Also, I believe as long as you have a good stiff neck (which Warmoth seems to make), you should not have a floppy B-string. But floppy and muddy are not always the same thing.

I hope this helps a little...

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hi,

I seembled this one 4 or 5 years agor for my friend Fred Fall(that's him in the pic):
    [​IMG]

Koa body
    Maple neck
    Ebony board
    Schaller bridge
    Gotoh tuners
    Barts J and NTBT

No floppy B string at all.

Peace, JP

5. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    That's a very nice-looking bass. Is that an oil finish on the body? I was kind of thinking of a walnut body if I do one.

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    yep, Oil + wax finish.

JP

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I owned 2 Warmoth DLX V Jazz basses & they didn't have floppy B strings.

One had a:
    Maple neck & board
    Ash body with Maple top
    EMG 40J's (pair)
    Aguilar OBP-1

I had another one that was similar. It had:
    Maple neck w/rosewood fretboard
    Ash body
    EMG 40J's (pair)
    Aguilar OBP-1

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

NINO YOU HAVE A PM

9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I have a Warmoth Deluxe 5 fretless that I put together about 9 years ago. I also built and sold 2 fretted Deluxe 5's and they had good sounding "B" strings. They were compairable to a Warwick Thumb bolt on that I owned at the time. The "B" string definetly sounded better than the "B" on a Fender USA Jazz 5 a friend of mine owned. The instrument is a little neck heavy (even with GB7 tuners) but it's no worse than a lot of other 5 string basses. I'm putting a Moses fretted Graphite neck on the Warmoth body (as soon as the neck arrives) and I'll let you know how that turns out.