Anybody using an Avalon 737sp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I was trolling over at GC today, and spent a little time drooling on an Avalon 737sp preamp. That thing looks like it'd be the ultimate bass pre, what with compression, semi-parametric EQ, adjustable shelving, and tube drive. The thing exudes quality construction, too. Who's using this? Tell me about it, please.

::: intestinal rumblings :::
  2. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    i've used the avalon gear in the studio and live, (usually) for things other than bass....
    it's pretty much amazing on anything, and definitely has it's own character, like any great pre(trident, a.p.i.,neve, etc..)
    real clean, the tube stage warms things up nicely...still real clean...nice comps, subtle to squish while still sounding musical. amazing e.q......
    road worthy? hmmm...
    it's not something you see on the road alot...$$$$...
    their half-space di's are more common, but are almost always in pairs(one for backup)
    i am very nervous as far as lugging it around goes, it needs a really good high quality shock-rack...and gentle roadies...
    and you'd need a back-up of some kind just in case...
    but over all, imho, it gets an "a+" for sound
  3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have a 737...and it is an amazing preamp! Everything it does is incredible, quiet and accurate.
    The best pre? That is totally subjective...I recently played thru a Mellenia Media preamp which really made me think twice about the $$$ I spent on the Avalon. Of course the Millenia was about twice the price of a 737!
    (BTW I understand Anthony Jackson plays thru a Millenia Mic Pre into a Krell Power amp..that's about $20k NOT counting speaker(s) and bass!) is one amazing piece. In short, incredibly MUSICAL. It records bass like nothing else..and does wonders to just about everything else ( I have to run Bagpipes, accordian or ocarina thru it, but my guess is those would also be incredible.) never leaves my studio! I would not gig it. It is well built, but still.......all the magic it does would be lost on MOST gigs. Unless your whole rig is of comparable quality, and whatever PA you might be goiung thru is also of comparable quality (and none are), then there is not much point in risking abuse to it. I do gig out with my U5, and that is incredible, too.
    Yet for most live applications I find the sound of my Raven Labs pre (considerably less $ than Avalon) to be remarkable, true and sturdy.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Thanks, Guys. I gigged through my U5 last Saturday night and went direct into the PA. Sounded great. I'm not too worried about it being fragile ... it's solid state. I just like the thought of all those knobs on the 737. Seems like you could find just about any tone in there. But, of course, you are right about playing out with it, Max. As I've argued countless times in here, between the noise of the venue and the ignorance of the audience, you might as well be playing through a Behringer.
  5. well I just took the plunge on a used 737 sp, haven't got it yet, but hope to have it for a session on the 3rd. I doubt if I'll use it for all live gigs, but in a good acoustic situation, where I am responsible for my rig, it'll be there.