Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody using bass pedals Ala Moog Taurus, Roland PK-5, etc.?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassteban, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Ala Moog Taurus, Roland PK-5, etc.

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Moog Taurus? Man, in my dreams. :(

However, I've cooked up a passable Taurus sound on my synth (which, ironically, has a factory preset "Taurus" sound, but it doesn't really sound like a Taurus to my ears.)

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I sparingly use a set of polyphonic pedals made by this crazy guy back east known as Dr. Freak. They are modified Hammond pedals in a really cool diamond-plate case. For a controller I use an EMU Vintage Keys Pro. It has great Moog sounds. I used a set of Taurus IIs in the 80s almost constantly. I still pine for a good set of Taurus Is!

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I've always wanted to know, are Taurus pedals self contained? Or are they the foot controller for something else? I have been very very interested over the years, ecspecially after finding Rush years ago, about picking up a set of pedals. But I have never been entirely to sure how they work.

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    What exactly are you guys talking about?

keyboard/organ pedals used whilst your playing bass?

sounds like something I wanna hear more about if thats the case...

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Self-contained synths designed to be played with the feet. This is a Taurus I pedal synth: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23278

7. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    Is everyone here just gonna talk about the Moog Taurus? There are other pedals out there, ya know.

I use a Zoom 506II. It's a crappy multi-effect, but it's pretty cool to fool around with.

8. Read the above responses- we're talking about organ-type bass(note)pedals, not bass-specific *effect pedals*. ;)

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
  10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    They are referring to pedals such as these:
    [​IMG]

It's essentially a one-octave keyboard controlled by your feet, like the bass pedals on an organ.

Killer Of Giants likes this.
  11. Much more eloquently put than I- thank you, SuperD.

12. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Oh my.....

That could be an extremely cool tool(read as toy).

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    There's an entire forum dedicated to pedals like this... check out the Effects Forum under Bass Guitar General Forum...

As a Hammond organ owner, I've been itching to get a set of standalone bass pedals but can't find quality ones for unabsurd prices.

More info on the modified Hammond pedals?

14. svenbass

svenbass

Dec 12, 2002
    Boston
    I really dig my setup consisting of PK-5 pedal controller

- built to last and battery powered (a HUGE plus in my book) - with minimal learning curve you can get a good grasp on switching octaves, setting it to hold the note, or even doubling the part an octave up. I can execute these various commands during the course of a song. While I'm not a total clod, I found playing these things was really like learning to ride a bike, you just fumble around for a while until you find your comfort zone. I'm now (after a year or so) able to play some decent pedal bass parts while playing bass or, dare I admit it ... guitar ... :bag: ....but only for one tune and it's an ostinato!

Drinking will immediately negate any coordination you manage to achieve!!

and SH-32 Synth

- it has no keyboard, and resides conveniently on top of my bass rig for easy access to patches. Is totally programmable, and has good presets. In fact, you can truly really invent patches - it's all knobs and sliders so you can go crazy - an arpeggiator if you dare going down that road. For all you Rush fans, you can get the Taurus sound easily. I bought this setup to replace my vintage analog Taurus clone Multivox MX-400's because they were really a one trick pony. All the crazy stuff on Rush's records/live were due to a dedicated team of geeks that were able to patch the Taurus thru Geddy's Minimoog and Oberheim.
    The SH-32 is limited to an electronica/vintage synth type vibe, but it suits my needs to have a customizable assortment of organ bass, electric bass, FAT dub bass patches handy, as well as create, knob twiddle, and trip out on spacy stuff in one fell swoop of the LFO.

15. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I made my own Tarus pedals by mounting a set of pedals from an old organ in a wooden case I made that also contains the 'guts' of an old MIDI keyboard that I intercaed with the pedals. I run a MIDI cable from the output of this to the MIDI in on my keyboard.

My keyboard is an ancient Roland JW-50 which I have just of the stage beside my fretting hand. I also run sequences on it (and it's great to set 'cheat sheet' on).

16. hhahaha Your not kidding! I use the PK's with bass and vox in live bands and as a solo performer on guitar. It's hard enough doing 3 things at once but add some beer and/or smoke induced day dreaming and that's when you get in real trouble!;) Rob