Anybody using Black Diamond coated strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    And if so, how do you like them? Are they long lasting? Do they have a quick attack? etc.
  2. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  3. ...if it helps any, I've got DR Black Beauties on my fretless- love 'em. Feel good, sound the same(to my tone-deaf ears) as non-coated DR's, & look cool w/black hardware.
  4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    About 3 or 4 years ago, Black Diamond strings were made for them by Vincci. When they came out with the first sets of coated strings I go to try a few sets out on my guitars and my bass. I did not care for them much on the 6 strings, they went dead quickly and did not hold up to a bass player playing acoustic guitar. On my bass I used them for 1 practice and hated them. They did not hold tension for anything and they were not warm at all. My opinion is I did not like them. Some people must, but not me.
  5. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    I just ordered a set yesterday. For the money, I hope I have a better experience with them than iriegnome did. I was looking for a lighter gauge coated string and it was a tossup between Black Diamond and DR Black Bueaties. I'll see what happens. If I don't like them, I'll get the DR's next time.

We'll see...
  6. Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    They just weren't sounding like what I'm normally used to. The coating gets scratched off real fast, leaving ugly chrome leprosy sores where the strings contact the fret-tops. They also didn't feel too nice, like someone had dusted my strings with talcum powder. Tonally, made the bass sound a bit like a copper-pipe. I've put my 6-month old Slowounds back on, and am happy once again. (Morris 75 Jazz Replica with Dimarzio Ultra Jazzes).

7. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Ah, great. I just picked up a set, and haven't tried them yet. :scowl:
  8. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    PM bassist4ever - I recently sold him an OLP with fresh Black Diamonds on them. For the short hour or two I got to use them, I liked them, though not as much as D'Addarios. I don't think I can comment on their sound/life though.

9. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have an '04 MIA Jazz, and decided to try the Black Diamonds on it. My first impression (played it in church today) is that they sound like decent nickel roundwounds. That's OK, since I like nickels on this bass, but I wouldn't say there's anything spectacular about their sound; solid and serviceable, but I think I like D'Addario XL's a bit better. However, if these will last three or four months, I'll consider it money well spent. I'll probably try EXP's next time.
  10. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Yes, I'm using them. But just barely. The ones I have came on my MTD when I bought it. I quickly replaced them, because it sounded absolutely atrocious with these strings. It's possible for an MTD to sound bad, and these strings certainly did that job.

I'm using them on my Cirrus 5. They are very upper mid-heavy, and I don't care much for that sound. I've managed to balance the EQ to get a fair-to-decent sound, but I figure the Cirrus will sound A LOT better when I replace them. I absolutely hate the feel! Sticky and rough. Worst-feeling strings I've ever used. I like boomers better for feel, and I don't care for the feel of SS Boomers.

And the winding is too short for the Cirrus, at least on the B string. I have to "shim up" the B-String nut slot with paper because the Black Diamonds' outer winding ends just short of the nut.

Only reason I still have them on anything is because I'm not gigging at all and can't justify replacing strings right now. As I said, they're okay, but not near what I like or would ever choose again. Seems like they will have a long life, as these are several months old and have been on and off several basses for testing.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend them. I don't like them much, but as always YMMV.