1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody using Roto Drop Zones and C standard tuning?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lenny, Jan 17, 2012.

1. I've read a lot of the threads relating to this subject, but I haven't seen one where somebody specifically says they're using the above combination. I ordered a set the other day, but the more reading I do, the more it seems like they might be slightly heavy for C.

I like the specs of the Circle K strings, but I have to say, I hate the fact that I can't string them through the body. Also, I've used Rotos for years, and I really like the way they feel and sound, so they were a natural first choice for me.

Based on the numbers from the tension chart on the Circle K website, it looks like there would be around 11 pounds difference between the standard set and the drop set. Does that seem like a lot? I realize I'll have to file the nut and make some set up adjustments.

Thanks in advance, Lenny.

2. Just for information sake, the strings I use now are .105, .80, .65, .45. The new set will be .130, .105, .80, .65

3. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I have done it, but I think it was a little too tight for me with those strings in C standard. I replaced them with some Circle Ks that felt much better, tension wise.

4. I used this set up once a few years ago (Rotosound drop zone strings 130-105-80-65) in C standard and was sceptical before I put them on. Once the set up was done the tension felt great. I set the action quite low, this was on a Fender Jazz bass.

Although I'd rather use 120-95-75-60 for this tuning it certainly can be done with drop zone strings.

5. Thanks for the replies guys.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
  7. Yeah, I was checking that site out last night after seeing it mentioned in a few threads, looks pretty good for sure.

8. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I just ordered a couple of sets out if the bargain bin from there too. Good experience.

9. If you decide to order from Circle K, I suggest trying .124 .094 .070 .053.

10. Thanks Josh, I'll consider that.