Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody using SWR and Aguilar Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rodan, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Just curious if anybody is playing out there is playing with SWR AND Aguilar cabs as part of their rig. I thought this might be an interesting concept to warm up my sound a bit (currently all SWR).

Thinking maybe trading my Goliath 4X10 for a Goliath Jr. 2X10 and pairing it up with an Aggie 2X12.

Comments?

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I use an Sm400 on a GS112 for small gigs. With most basses at low volumes the gs warms up the sound. At higher than coffee house volumes the SWR 2-10 is tighter and has warmth with a greater flatness over all. (they do have scooped mids) I use 1 to 4 depending on the gig. The Gs warms up basses without a lot of natural fullness considerably. Kydd with the preamp and passive Fenders. IMHO

3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I'm using a SM400 with a GS410.

Extremely versatile setup, plenty loud. It does warm up the sound somewhat but I imagine any low-mid heavy cab would do that.

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I use a SWR SM500 and two Aguilar GS112s and it sounds great. Warm yet punchy. I have never been a big fan of SWR cabinets because of the scooped mids. The Aguilars are more flat and sound great. I run them off the bridge mode of the SM500. The low mid emphasis on the Ag cabs helps the transparency of the SWR head

-KB

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    geez if SWR has scooped mids i'd really hate to hear the kind of mids my rig would put out with a "flat" speaker cabinet.

considering that what comes out of my cab sounds 90% like my DI tone...i'd say swr's are pretty flat.

6. Dolan

Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    " I use a SWR SM500 and two Aguilar GS112s and it sounds great. Warm yet punchy. I
    have never been a big fan of SWR cabinets because of the scooped mids. The
    Aguilars are more flat and sound great. I run them off the bridge mode of the SM500.
    The low mid emphasis on the Ag cabs helps the transparency of the SWR head."

I have the same setup and have to agree. I also use SWR cab's but the SM-500 and 2 Aggie 1x12's have got me thinking, what else do I need to use? My bandmember's agree. It's also a very portable setup. Make's life easy for my almost 40 year old back.

7. As a matter of fact, my rig consists of an SWR Son of Bertha and an Aguilar GS 112.

8. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I use a SM400s and two Aggie 1x12s. Couldn't be happier.

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Wow, the SWR SM500/400s with two Aguilar GS112s seems to be a popular setup. Nice and portable, great sound. They seem to pair up nicely.

[​IMG]

10. Dolan

Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    Nice setup KB!! Being a guitarist for 20 + year's must be the reason I like 12's for bass. I whipped out my SWR Goliath III and SOB and they made the comment, what do you need those for?

11. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey I said that about SWR cabs having scooped mids because I was repeating what I've heard about them. Next time I'll do some research. On the other hand when recording DI and miked the tone is nearly indistiguishable through a hi end hard disk system. I always use the SM-400 flat tone wise. Nothing else is necessary though for me the tweeters are off or barely on. The Ag GS-112 the tweeter is off!

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if i remember correctly the triad is supposed to have a flatter response than the goliath 3

13. I personally prefer the sound of my Aguilar to my SWR cabinet, and will probobly eventually sell the Son of Bertha and get another GS 112.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i'm talking about my goliath jr tho ;)

15. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My experience with playing through SWR and Aguilar cabinets is that the Aguilar are warmer and that the SWR are slightly scooped. YMMV

-KB

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Are you running your SM-400/S/500s bridged into two 8 ohm GS112s? According to SWR service and the manual that's the least efficient condition watts produced per power pulled from the wall. They say it will get quite warm. They must mean real warm as they are supposed to get warm. The most efficient is supposed to be two 4 ohm loads stereo or one 8 ohm load bridged mono. Or are you running them stereo? Thanks.

17. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I run them bridged/mono to get the 4 ohm load. Yeah the amp gets warm, but it is not "burn your fingers" hot. As you can see from my picture I do have a blank rack space above the amp to help with cooling.

-KB