Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody using the Clarus SL?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Most of you probably know that I am a seething, rabid Acoustic Image fan. I totally dig the Focus, as I did the old Clarus. Right now my "moderate volume" rig is the Focus with a Bergie HT112 (upright and low volume electric). My little rig is an Epifani 110UL with the Clarus (I've actually got them strapped together at the moment!). I think the Clarus SL and Epi 110UL would be a totally tiny and sweet rig.

My question...anybody using the SL, and HOW SMALL IS IT? If possible, could someone take a pic of the SL next to something else for reference?

Will

2. I had an original Clarus and a good buddy of mine has the SL. The SL is quite a bit smaller than the new Clarus, but only slightly smaller than the original Clarus. It has the same front end as the original Clarus (without the filter that the Focus and newer Clarus has... which I really like). The SL does put out a few more watts than the original Clarus (I think 50 more watts at 4 ohms), but I really didn't notice a difference in the sound or volume. So, if you have an original Clarus, I don't think the SL would be enough of a size advantage to be worth it.

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    It's probably about a 3-4lbs difference between the old Clarus and the SL, which is a good bit heavier (if you can call 3-4lbs a good bit!). However, thanks for the info!

4. It is a little lighter ( I think a little under 3lbs. lighter), but not that much smaller. Nice little head though! I used mine with an Acme110 at 4ohms. I don't like the Acme cabs for electric bass that much, but the Clarus/Acme combo sounded amazing with my Rob Allen MB2. I sold the rig to an upright player who absolutely LOVES it. I have a Focus on order from LDS. I'm looking forward to checking out the AI with a little more wattage.

5. PS I noticed on your profile that you have a Fodera with Aero's on your wish list. I used an Emperor Elite 5 for quite a few years but it was so big (both the body and the neck profile, especially at the nut) and heavy (it was mahogany with a maple top... there's a picture of it in my profile.

I loved the sound of the Pope preamp, etc. I picked up a Stambaugh recently that has the new Pope 4 band EQ and Aero dual coils. It's light, great sounding (very 'Fodera-ish) with a much smaller neck profile and less than half the price. It's a great instrument, with at least as good 'fit and finish' as the Fodera I had. Anyway, there's still a picture of the bass on the Luthier's Access Group website (I purchased the 35inch scale... the identical 34" scale bass is still for sale).

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    K,

Thanks for the heads up...I'm sending you a PM right now.

W