1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody wanna brainstorm a possible project with me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gremson, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    I found this Hofner on Craigslist. Seller says it's a 1960 or 61. Obviously stripped and in need of love. I'm considering going for it as a fun project to get myself back into a janky short scale bass. I'm not sure what model it is, but maybe someone here can clue me in. I like the idea of just oiling down the whole neck and body and refraining from sealing it with any clearcoat. I'm curious what kind of pickup and control options would be able to drop into a bass like this. It looks like the usual staple pickups would be the right size, but it doesn't seem like the routes are deep enough. I'm assuming the control plate could be just Hofner's ol' standby. But I'm curious where to source a decent variant. It's been years since I've pieced together an instrument and I'm not sure where to look for parts, and what parts this bass could accommodate. What does the community think?!

00808_gXuDoZ4RoGq_1200x900.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. briandavismurph

briandavismurph

Jul 1, 2013
    OK I'll Start, DarkStars

3. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    It's a 182, and looks like it might well have been one of the vinyl-finished ones. See: c1962/63 Hofner 182 Bass Guitar

4. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    You might try and source Kay Speed bump pickups.

35D8390E-9B98-4036-B311-AF73B945BF35.

5. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    Vinyl finished, eh? How strange. Can't imagine why anyone would strip vinyl from a bass!

6. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I had a vinyl covered imguitar about 23 years ago. gasoline and a razor blade got the majority of it off.
    cool project. show us the headstock

7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner