Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody want my country gig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ben Rose, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I'm moving in the next few weeks and have given notice to the country band I've been playing with. If I were staying somewhere in this general region, I'd keep the gig, but I'm moving to the northeast, so that probably won't work.

He'll be looking for a a new bass player to replace me ASAP.

Sound clips are on the website.
    King Cone

We'll be playing Lone Star Park this weekend and have a few local gigs coming up in the next week if anybody wants to swing on by.

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Way cool bro, I hope someone takes you up on this.

This is what I love about TB.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Texas \m/ :p Paying gig BTW.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Paying, hmm? Where do you guys rehearse?

6. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
  7. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Could you PM me with specifics....or post here if you wish.

As to: tunes(no need to name them all, but roughly how many? all covers/original/mix), expected pay(rough estimates), expected expenses (do you guys travel far enough to use hotels often or anything of that nature).

Any special requirement?

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    sorry, when I was living in East Bum**** GA that used to be my standard response whenever I was asked if we "played any country music?"

9. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Right now, the travelling is all within Texas. Mostly between Austin and Wichita Falls, so hotels have not been needed yet. He is looking to travel more and eventually expand to regional and national tours.

There are about 15 originals. The longer the show, the more covers get played. The covers are a mix of country (Hank Jr, Clint Black, Pat Greene etc) and classic rock (Mellencamp, Eagles, Creedence etc).

Some shows are more acoustic in nature. I've been using the standup, but an ABG would work well too. Perhaps better.

We rehearse when we have something specific to rehearse for, ie an upcoming recording project, a gig where new tunes have to be added.

Pay details would be up to King, but I have always been pleased and it pays better than my other gigs. He is looking for someone who will approach it as a member of the band, not a hired gun, but I think that is largely a matter of attitude. He's not the type to waste your time or his with rehearsals 5 days a week for a $50 gig coming up in 2 months. Because of the amount of work he gets for me, I tend to find subs for my other gigs if needed. But this rarely comes up because he checks everyone's schedules before confirming a gig.

My personal feeling about the situation is that King is the first singer I have worked with who has the right mixture of talent, attitude, and focus to get the job done. If the singer can't sing, I won't be back after the first rehearsal. If the singer has no clue how to act on stage, I probably won't be back after the first gig (unless the singer recognizes and is working on it). If the singer is going to wait for things to happen, rather than actually pursue success through logical steps, I may stick around for 3 months, but that would be about it. King is a very straighforward no BS hardworking kind of guy. You can make your own decisions about his singing and the music based on the available clips.

I have no desire to leave this band, but an opportunity appeared that seems like the right thing for me to do as an expectant father, and that's what I'm going to have to go with.

Hope this helps.