1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Anybody want to see me go off on QSC?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve, Nov 8, 2003.

1. If I put the rack case on top it would be over 6 feet, but I stack the Acmes as two upright pairs like so:

XX
    XX

My digicam should be back this week or I'll get a loaner to snap some pics.

2. I recently went thru the same problem when I purchased a PLX 2402, THE BUZZING WAS SO BAD, that afer using it on one gig I returned to GC to try
    another one new out of the box and we experienced the same problem, then we tried a new 1602 and a 3402 and the same problem with buzzing and rattling of the circuit board and fan
    was so bad even at low volumes, then one audio sales guy recommended the gramma, I put one under the amp and one on the floor under my 2-epifani 12's and the problem dis-appeared.

GC was cool enough that they sold me both Auralex
    grammas at thier cost. It would be nice for QSC to resolve this problem without having the consumer spend additional money in order to use thier product.

3. :meh: :confused:
    QSC has such a solid rep among bass players I'm wondering if they've changed specs recently. This whole rattling/buzzing thing seems to be new and too widespread to be just a quality control glitch.

4. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    MJ5150....

They could have done a loaner, or whatever. Yeah they brought it off-site for us, since we were not right at the show.

The fact that they just replaced it (it was not that new) without a question was unusual. No other company has been that cool about it. Usually there is a hassle and then it eventually happens, but you have to work at it.

It was handled really smoothly and with class, considering we had none of the paperwork with us, etc. They didn't know us from toads, all we had was a rack of their amps. It was all over almost before we got it out of the rack.

They took notes and said they would correct the warranty paperwork at their end. I assume they did, the new one worked thru the warranty and still is OK as far as I know.

Obviously you have never been in the sound biz...if you are big, you are gold, if you are little, you stink in some of the companies eyes.

Sufenta:
    DEsigned for....means works good for. They may have intended instruments, but they got something to learn about vibrations in bass instrument apps.
    They work good sound-wise...it may make up for it.

As far as the new QC issues, those no-screw mountings are gonna be vibration trouble sooner or later. Best idea is just put the amp away from the speaker, or use rubber like was said.

5. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i've owned an rmx 850, and now a 1450. i play in two really loud rock bands and i don't usually get the luxury of a pa. so i need to rely on my amp to be loud enough for me. i put mine in an skb rack case, and put it on top of my svt 8x10. the only problem i've ever had is that i didn't have the limiter on at one point. but other than that, both qsc's have been golden. maybe that's just the rmx series, but i'd think that the plx series would be just as well.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    "Obviously you have never been in the sound biz...if you are big, you are gold, if you are little, you stink in some of the companies eyes."

OK, you got me. I am not BIG in the music "biz". Here IS what I am though....I am a musician that buys gear like everyone else around here. While I am apparently not BIG like you, my purchases are a big deal to me.

I have received the same quality service from a local Crown rep as you did with QSC. I also received the same quality service from BBE. So, I don't think one needs to be a BIGshot in the "biz" to be treated fairly.

I just had to respond to your yelling since you made such a big deal about something ANY company would have done in that particular situation.

-Mike

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    bikertrash82, I'm sorry that the amp you bought used had some mechanical buzzes. Unfortunately we don't have a system for doing quality control on used amps sold between private parties. But then again, I don't think any other company does, either.

FWIW, in my bass rig I use a PLX 1602 that's older than anybody else's here--it was one of the beta units. And I use it in an SKB rack case that sits on top of my cabinet when I play. It's never buzzed or rattled in the nearly six years I've been using it, despite its being hauled around in my car on average a couple times a week.

As others have noted, buzzing and rattling problems are few and far between. The PLX amps and their technological siblings (e.g., the PowerLight 2) have proven themselves roadworthy despite various allegations about circuit board mounting techniques and mechanical construction. If these manufacturing techniques had proven to cause problems, we would change them, but so far, they've worked well. If they didn't, getting pushed around and on and off trucks in rolling amp racks night after night would show up some weaknesses by now.

I don't know what's causing the buzz in your amp, but if you want it fixed, let me know.

8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I've got a PLX 1602 on top of two Ea VL210's. no buzzes or rattles ever. Just loud punchie tone

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hey, my rig is over six feet tall.

10. My 3002 buzzes. Looks to be a piece of card or something right behind the air vents. Love my PLX and I just make certain to play loud enough to mask it.
    :D

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Thanks Mr. Lee. You're quite a guy. I mentioned what was vibrating and how I dealt with it. It seems to be fine now. Other than my long term durability concerns (Relating to the vibration noise only) I like the unit. It's got enough power to heat a house or jumpstart a car and the sub-filter has already saved my fanny once due to crummy room acoustics. They really help keep my Acme cabinets low end from getting out of control in a bad room.

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    qsc is the only part of my rig that hasn't let me down!

13. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    I own a PLX2402 and thus far, I'm quite pleased with it's performance. No rattles to speak of. After reading an article regarding cabinet vibration in a old Bass Player Mag article written by SWR founder/Raven Labs honcho Steve Rabe, I found a piece of soft foam rubber. I place it between my 2402 and my cabinet. I've read some posts regarding fan noises/vibrations, but I have'nt experienced any such problems myself. Rabe recommended placing foam rubber between any head-tube or solid state-in the article. Sorry to hear you're having problems with your amp.
    Best of luck, Art.

14. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Ow, ow! Ok I give! QSC sucks, you're right....ow quit it!

NOT...

Some folks'd complain if you ran over them with a new car.

Anyway....

Since I think the original poster bought used, why not dab some silicone sealer on the rattly posts and the edge of the fan shroud. That'll take care of the problem for good. Since its used, no warranty issues.

Don't get it on components, the products of the cure process can be slightly corrosive. Should be fine if you let it air out while it cures.

(there is a non-corrosive version, but its hard to get).

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I never said QSC sucks. I think they make great gear.

-Mike

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021