anybody what that is?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Yvon, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I have a plug on my bass, it as 5 pin like a midi out. It might be a DI out or something. It's not wired. the guy who used to own the bass have no idea what it is, I tried to reach Nicolas Tung I can't find him. I E-mailed Micheal Tobias, he said he havent heard of Nicolas for the last 8 years! And Micheal have no idea what it might be.

Anybody know what it might be?

Here's a picture, we can't see it much though.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I had a three prong jack like that on my Surine...for low impedance output. It should be reasonably easy to tell what it is from the inside. It may be stereo low impedance outputs instead of mono like mine.

Some jacks like that supply multiple outs and phantom power to the bass.
  3. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

This looks like the same set up as on Alembic Series I and Series II basses. As Brad stated in his reply, they supply phantom power to the bass. They connect through a special cord to an external power supply. This arrangement bypasses the batteries.

Until recently, Series I and Series II basses could only operate off of one pick up when under battery power. Both pickups would operate when connected through the 5 pin outlet.

Could be that your 5 pin also acts as a supplemental power supply connection. I know that Alembic retrofits other instruments and sells upgrade electronics packages, but I'm not aware of them selling the Series I or Series II setups as a retrofit.

If both your pickups operate satisfactorily, you may just want to leave this 5 pin alone until you know for certain what it is and what connectors you need to take full advantage of it.

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks Brad and James. I looked at the picture James, it is the exact same thing I have on my bass.
    Yes both pick up work good. It might be that.
    If it had nothing, I will do as you say and leave it alone.
  5. looks like an XLT jack to me.. can you make a close-up photo of it ???
  6. I have no idea! :p I reckon James was pretty close to the mark.

Anywho nice basses. wow. lol