1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anybody who had used Tascam Gt-r1

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jeremiahjay, Oct 6, 2010.

1. jeremiahjay

jeremiahjay

Oct 31, 2007
    I had used the CD bass trainer (and i am planning to buy the mp3), and I noticed this gadget on their site. It sounds good, but has anyone used this one?

Anything that you could share based on your experience. I really am looking forward to have one but I want to hear feedback from fellow bassist who had used this.

2. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    I've been using one for a year now.

The built in digital effects are lame and not really usable for recording, but make fine practice aids. They are adjustable, but a big pain to tweak. Useful as a take-anywhere headphone practice amp.

I don't use the drum machine so I can't comment on it. Probaly should be using it more often during practice.

As a recording device it is ok. Gets the job done, but don't waste you time trying for a final production cut. I can hear some A/D conversion artifacts in the lower quality recording settings. Sounds like a splashing sound. The only setting I can't hear artifacts on is the highest quality .wav format which uses up alot of storage space. Fortunately it supports SD memory sticks so you can swap them out like on a camera if it gets full and you don't want to delete stuff.

I have transfered recordings made during rehearsal (recorded on other equipment) to the memory stick and used them to play alone with during home practice. It was very useful in that application. I got a lot of use out of the playback features, like slowed down playback, and selecting segments of a song to continuosly loop.

Tried using the built in microphone to get a mic'ed recording of my bass amp and it didn't sound too good. Found the built-in mic useful for taking voice notes though. Haven't tried using it for singing yet.

All the in's and out's make this device versatile for many setups. I've been using a small mixer to combine a condenser mic and my bass signal, send that to the line-in and then the line-out to a p.a. so I can hear the playback.

The battery last a long time. The display is clear. File management is easy. The external controls and setting recording levels is simple. Takes three button presses to go from off to recording your moment of inspiration.

Overall I find the GT R1 to be very useful for it's intended purpose as a portable practice aid. And it also has some excessive features jammed in if you want them.
    Is it worth the price? only if your going to use most of the features, otherwise Tascam offers simpler and cheaper recording and playback devices. I don't use the built-in effects or drum machine but still have gotten my money's worth for over 100 hours of recordings.

3. jeremiahjay

jeremiahjay

Oct 31, 2007
    thanks for the reply, it is really very helpful for my decision to buy this item.

By the way, do you have problems with the jack i read from reviews about this problem. In your case did you experience this?

4. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    I haven't had much trouble with the jacks, but some care is necessary. I've been using a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter for the line inputs on the top and the headphone output on the side and the weight of them pulls on the jacks so I setup the recorder in place where the adapter and a portion of the cord is supported on a tray. I also put velcro on the back of the tascam so the cords wont pull it off the tray. I could see this being problem if your wreckless with your equipment.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021