1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

anybody who has experience with Rickenbacker 3001?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MSTRKRFT, Apr 1, 2009.

1. I was offered to buy a Rickenbacker 3001 from 1973...
    I really want to, but I know nothing about it...
    :ninja:
    Anyone who has experience with such a bass?!?!?!?
    It would help me a lot in my decision-making proces... ;)

:help:

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Rickenbacker 3001

3. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I've heard that it doesn't give the "Ric" vibe at all (different pu, placement, bolt on, etc.).

It's also a student model, so quality will probably not be on par with their 4001/3 counterpart.

4. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I used to own one. Elsewhere on TB I have described that instrument as the

Worst. Bass. Ever.

...which apparently pissed off some of the diehard 3001 fans around here! But the one I owned truly was a dog.

otoh, the fact that there even are diehard 3001 fans suggests that either there are some 3001s that aren't dogs, or that some types of music (or musicians) are compatible with dogs.

5. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Hoover & I have had heated conversation about this in the past. I believe we eventually "agreed to disagree".

Firstly, the 3001 wasn't introduced until '75-'76 I believe, so it's definitely not a 1973. I wouldn't necessarily call it a student model, but it was a more budget priced offering from Rickenbacker.

I have a 1978 3001 that I simply love. I also own a 4001 & a 4003 & the 3001 is my favorite. It's got enough of that Rick clank, but with more traditional/fundamental bottom end. It sounds like a pissed off P-bass. It isn't as graceful or elegant as the 4000 series & they tend to be HEAVY. But IMHO, they are a real sleeper bass & have a small but dedicated following. Prices seem to be on the rise for them as well.

As with any bass though I suggest you try before you buy.

Happy hunting!

Arf.

6. oh, Then I might misunderstood him... :smug: its from the 70's-something :)

hmmmmmmmmmm, it seems that a lot of people disagree with you, loendmaestro... :)

I will definitly try it before I buy it.... I like the fact that there are some level of bottom end, but if it lacks "rick-energy" and if the sound doesn't have anything to do with the 4001/3 models, it might not be worth it... even though I like some bottom end to the sound...

7. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Never bothered me in the least!

Just offering free opinions here!

Good luck man....

8. I owned a '78 3001 and sold it during a financially lean period and really loved the bass. I wish I still had it. It definitely has the Rick sound thing going on but as stated by Loendmaestro it also has a more generic fundamental sound that I think makes it perhaps more of a general purpose bass for those who feel the 400x basses are more specialized sounding. I'm not in this camp, I think Ricks can be used to play most anything with the right EQ and technique. Anyway, good luck on your decision.

9. thank u for the answers