1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody who says Sting can't groove!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by oldprussians, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Has anyone actually said that Sting can't groove?

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Very cool! Thanks for posting!:cool:

3. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    United Republic of Europe
    IT Professional!
    Oh some people don't give him his due.......

4. THE SAW

THE SAW

Sep 14, 2006
    Yeah, he can groove-but that old Fender of his has got to go. I suggest he send it immediately to my address.

No really-he's the king of groove, *** is wrong with people?

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

:eyebrow:

6. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    IT Professional!
    I actually think he's a good bass player but shoots himself in the foot too often...... by playing guitar instead of DB!

7. FourIsEnough

FourIsEnough Banned

Jan 19, 2012
    Sting has his own kind of groove and it's very strong. I must say, he sounds "busier" on that recording than usual and he sounds good. Then again, it's one of those tunes that is hard NOT to groove.

Also, I think he got a much better sound with a pick than his thumb.

8. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    You can really hear the Carol Kaye influence on him in this....thanks for posting!

9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Who's the drummer on that track?

10. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    IT Professional!
    Don't know..

What I do know this was the time Andy Summers had released Charming Snakes, where sting had played on the title track, and Herbie Hancock had played on there too. Chad Wakerman was the drummer with Andy.

Sting was going through a period where he needed inspiration, just before he had written the Soul Cages.. So my theory is that sting went back to being a sideman for some inspiration... Everyone need to to do this now and then!

11. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I second DWBass's :eyebrow:.

12. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    He's definitely a trained player, and having seen the Police on the Ghost in the Machine Tour in '83 I can attest to the fact that he grooved his butt off in that situation.
    I've got no problem with Sting at all. He's even Fusion-approved from his days in Last Exit and had the good sense to hire Daryl Jones and Christian McBride from time to time when he needed help as well as Vinnie Coliauta, Branford Marsalis and the late Kenny Kirkland.
    I highly recommend his autobiography Broken Music. It answers a lot of questions about his background and training as a player.
    I know he's a Rock Star but he can hang in the Muso Club anytime as far as I'm concerned.

bluesdogblues likes this.
  13. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I saw Sting when he was opening for the Grateful Dead in the 90's. Back then he had Vinnie Colaiuta, Dominic Miller and David Sancious in his band. And they GROOVED! The bill was definitely a little weird: they were playing Giants stadium for a far less than capacity crowd (most of the Deadheads were in the parking lot getting into the proper "headspace"), but the sound was great and they played their asses off! Sting and Vinnie alone were tremendous.

14. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    +1. The bio is a great read. And it stops when the Police broke out; he figured we already knew that part of the story.

15. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The thing that makes me respect guys like Sting and Geddy Lee so much is playing while they sing. I know that might not be a challenge to some of you, but to me it's incredibly difficult just to sing...let alone play bass while I attempt to sing. They do a good job of making some strong basslines while singing as well.

16. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    He's no Paul Jackson but it was pretty cool.

17. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I raise an eyebrow at your eyebrow. There's more than one way to groove, not just funky. The way Sting's bass playing drove so many Police songs (and provided bass hooks that even non- musicians recognize) is nothing to sneeze at.

18. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Originally Posted by THE SAW
    No really-he's the king of groove,and he reigns it over all the land .....

fixed

Thanks for the link :)

19. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    I've no idea who is Paul,Jackson, but I know STING well. Love his bass playing