Anyne take offense to this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I'm sure everyone has heard at some point in their bass playing development that "bass is simple, boring, and only played by someone who couldn't play guitar", or something along these lines. What do you think about that? I personally take offence to it because i think it's untrue (although i have seen plenty of bands, espically here in my college town, that have bass players who don't do anything at all).

I have alaways personally thought bass is far more interesting then guitar, and more difficult to play well. There are many different styles to play that involve a lot of differnt hand motions and conditioning (partly responsible for why i'm biased against pick players). Not to mention EVERYONE plays guitar, espically living in a college town. If i wanted to start a band here i could easily find 5 guitarists who are equally good. Don't take me the wrong way though, i also like guitar as well.

It's also my believe that it takes a lot of creativity to play able to bass really well. Of course this is just how i look at it, what do you guys think?
  2. well, its useless to argue, I think a good musician/guitarist will appreciate a bassist. Its hard to convince someone who doesn't.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Average Joe: "Hey Nino, bass is simple, boring, and only played by someone who couldn't play guitar."

Nino pick up bass, riffs away :bassist: ......

Nino: "Oh yeah? Play that!!!! :)
  4. anyone who says bass is simple or boring...

should be forced to listen to Victor Wooten,Stu Hamm,Marcus Miller,Jaco,and bassists of the like and then lets see how "boring" it is
  5. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yeah man, I wouldn't say bass is more difficult, but it is a totally different animal. First off we are in the D (Detroit) there are a million drummers, 2 million, guitarists and about 12 bassists 6 are on TB. Well it seems like it. Your right, 90% of the bassists here are not very good, but the ones that are are awesome. I think it's because you see a lot of guitarists try to play bass and you just can't play bass like guitar. I always say that with bass your left hand is following the guitars and the left is locking in with the drummer so it's kind of a link between both instruments really. A good bassist really makes the band sound better . To the average joe out there it's the subliminal voice in the music that goes unnoticed but truley makes the song what it is. I have heard drummers change beats in songs (we are talking covers as an example) guitarists change solos, but if a bassist messes with the bassline the song is totally changed. There is a misconception that bass is easy because 9 out of 10 beginner bassists don't get it. They think they can ride the E string and just fill. Hence 90% of bassists in Detroit. But then you see some bassists around here that are mind boggling, that's the 10% that do get it. It is truley an artform all it's own, easy heck no! I think it's the hardest to get right.
  6. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Or, you could have them attempt to play the bass lines to the songs you currently play.

Regardless of how much musical knowledge one possesses, there's a learning curve to every instrument.
  8. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Well i live in the detroit area, so i guess i'm the 13th bassist (my lucky number). I'm not really good yet, so i wouldn't consider myself a bassist.

I will agree that phenominal bass playing could be considered an art form. It is very hard to find a a really good bass player, much harder then finding a good guitarist. At least that's the way it often seems. There seems to be no middle section for bass players. It seems like a bass player is beginner/average, or phenominal.
  9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I've actually never gotten the "bass is simple" bit. My school has been exposed to some pretty stellar bassists (Graham Smith, Jason Chalmers, and dude from Razmataz and the Bassfunk Jazz, Evan Wise, Nathan Luffman), not to mention that a lot of people listen to bass-friendly music (Primus, Rage against the Machine, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc.) so the people who are into music at all at my school seem to have a huge respect for the bass. A buddy of mine that plays guitar pretty well took up bass -- not because he thought it was easy, but because the dudes at my school inspired him!
  10. jbass

Mar 22, 2004
    I've been into guitar way back 16 years ago. We were a trio of guitar players in our band. When our bass player decided to go his own way, I was challenged to play the bass. That was when I found out a different level of fulfillment for bass playing. And truly so, bass playing is a lot different than guitar playing.
  11. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I think a lot of younger people have that "bass is so easy" mentality because they are exposed to bands like blink-182 and other bands like that where the bassist only plays root notes with a pick.
  12. Because playing with a pick is not a viable method of playing bass... :meh:
  13. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Couldn't one use the same argument that guitar is so easy, with many popular top 40 bands playing power chords? I really don't know for sure, just thought I'd play devil's advocate...
  14. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Bass is fairly easy to play, but very hard to master.
  15. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    I can't count the number of times I've heard that comment. But I wouldn't fret over it. Just sit back and bask in the knowledge that the individual making that comment is just displaying their true stupidity.

Don't waste your time in trying to convince them otherwise. The problem with morons is that you'll never convince them that they ARE morons.
  16. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    The bass is a easy instrument to learn!!! yea thats what I said, I will also say it is very hard to master!!!
  17. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    When people make the "easier than guitar" comments, I usually come back with: "Well the guitar does have two more strings, but - do you know which one actually has more notes?" They usually look like this: :confused: so then I give them the answer, and the answer of course is "They both have 12" ;)
  18. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    i don't take offence of that(topic), people who says that bass is sucky, boring ect. doesn't have any taste for rythem and music IMO!
    playing bass is groovy and cool! :smug: :bassist:
  19. A couple of years ago a girl that I liked told me to my face that she thought the bass was boring. And she knew I was a bassist too, so she basically didn't respect what I did... Needless to say, I dropped her soon thereafter.
  20. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    No instrument is inherently easy or difficult to play. It's all about what you put into it. I do think certain styles are easier to play (e.g., punk) compared to others (e.g., modern jazz, progressive metal).