1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone A/B'd a Sennheiser 172 to a Line 6 XDR95??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimiLL, Apr 20, 2009.

1. So, im getting a wireless in the next week and its narrowed down to the Sennheiser 172 or a Line6 XDR 95.

Pros and cons:

Senn- Reputable, many different channels to choose from, longer/cheaper life with the AA transmitter pack, metal construction, proven piece of gear. And I get get one used for nearly half price on ebay. However, it is only responsive down to 40hz.

Line6- "The new thing to have". unbelieveable 10-20,000khz response, 300ft line of sight, looks very cool and takes up a whole rack space (cleaner set up). However, it eats up 9v for the pack, questionalble drop out in adverse conditions, chassis is made out of plasctic:rollno:

Well, I would like to hear from someone who has tried both back to back. Does the sennie sound as good as the 6, even with a lesser capacity to reproduce frequencies? Does the 6 really look as cool as it does on the computer??

2. afroman

afroman Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I compared my X2 XDS-Plus to my $600 Shure ULXS system, which compares to your Senn unit. I ended up selling the Shure.

Shure: better range @ 300'. Never gave me any problems, never cut out on me. It was bigger and more expensive. Can be a hassle if you have one of those frequencies that the FCC now will use. Soundwise it was very good. Batteries lasted 8-9 hours.

X2: smaller, simple as can be, better sound than the Shure IMO. It actually sounds really good, the same or a little better and brighter than a good cable. Batteries go dead in about 5-6 hours.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sounds about right to me, too. I have the XDS95, though.