Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone A/B'd Schroeder and Epifani?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B String, Jan 21, 2006.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Has anyone done a side by side tone comparison of these
    companies boxes? What are the differences in lows and highs etc?

2. Well... I guess that's me! I regularly gig with either an Epifani410UL and either a Schroeder1210 and more recently a 1212... both with the selenium tweeters.

The 410UL as I've said in previous posts is absolutely the best cab I've ever played through... literally the best. The tone is crisp, precise and clean, it weighs almost nothing (57 pounds), and is very efficient. This cab in 4ohm version and 500-750 watts will literally cover any sort of pop/funk gig you could imagine. If you can dig the Bass Player review up from about a year ago, I agree totally with their profile.

So... why the Schroeders. Well, for their SIZE, the Schroeders are the most amazing cabs. I've gone through various EA, Acme, Eden, smaller Epifani's, etc. for my 'small gig rig', and have never found a small cab that sounded and projected like a large one (duh!). However, for whatever reason, the medium sized Schroeders (1210 and 1212) do. I can cover the same gigs I do with the 410UL with the 1212 or 1210 if needed (i.e., when I'm on the road and in a situation where I have a small rental car, or a stage with very little room). For their size, they are the loudest cabs ever. They don't have the wonderful, even, articulate sound of the 410UL, but nothing else I've played does either (I guess the Bergs are in the same family, but the large ones weigh a TON, and they don't 'articulate' as well as the EpiUL's IMO, if you like a relatively bright sound... can't comment on the IP line yet).

The smaller Schroeder's are a little compressed in the low end, and have a little bit of a low mid hump... but that's the type of sound that seems to really project through the mix. I replaced an Epi310UL (a wonderful cab for its size and weight) with the 1212, because the 1212 put out so much more sound. The regular 1212 is a little bit heavier than the 310UL, but about 1/2 the size.

I'm looking forward to seeing if the new Schroeder Lights sound similar to the regulars. If that's the case, then the Schroeder's will be even more amazing.

So... summary... if you like a modern sound (new round wounds, slap occasionally, or play smooth jazz/fusion type music, funk, pop), and don't mind the size of a 410, the 410UL is literally perfect (the 310UL or a couple of 112UL's are smokin' too). If you need the loudest darn thing you can get in a very small box, and like a lot of punch in your sound, the Schroeder medium size boxes are great, and the Selenium tweeter option gives you plenty of sizzle for a modern sound.

PM if you want more detail, so I don't bore the other TBers who have heard me rave about these cabs too many times.

Ken

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Just curious, how much do those grocery store and elevator gigs pay?

4. Ha! I don't actually do those type of smooth jazz gigs... mostly dance music, funk and some occasional jazz trio gigs.

However.... the tone those types of bassists get... from Norm Stockton to Marcus Miller to Melvin Davis, and on and on... that's TOTALLY my thing. That sort of tone really sits well in a dance mix IMO.

And... the gigs I play pay very well:D

Edit: Another tribute to the Schroeder's though.... from looking at your profile, you and I are into totally different things... and we both play Schroe's and I assume are both very happy with them!

5. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles

There's nothing wrong with "couch money". I like making money off of whatever music I recorded
    in the past, while sitting at home on my couch.

6. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Anyone compare the smaller Epi's (112UL, 210UL) with the
    Schroe 112 or 210 or 1210?

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    B, I heard the 1210 last week and I have the 112/110UL setup as you know. The 1210 is more aggressive in the mids, particularly the low mids. The Epi boxes have more happening in the highs (but I wasn't using a selenium Schroeder box). The Schroeder boxes definitely sound "rowdy"...lots of punch and bite. I do agree with Ken that the 1210 puts out an obscene amount of sound for its size...it would eat a 112UL alive in a db competition. However, I think the Epi stuff sounds more sexy...let me qualify that. At least solo, that airy/shimmery Epi tweeter sounds really nice. I haven't heard that sound anywhere else.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I a/b/c'd a Schroeder / Epi / Accugroove in a store setting (no accompanying instruments) a year or so ago. What I found was the Schroeder didn't have the same refined sound of the Epi...the Epi was much more punchy and tight, definitely smoother across the whole spectrum.

Incidentally, it sounded amazing until I played the Epi against the Accugroove...the Epi sounded as amazing as the Accugroove, but with a wet blanket thrown on top of it.

Still love the Epi, though.;)

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    see below...

+ yay

the eden cabs are very much in that super voiced Eden vein. but the schroe's are much more refined. not quite as ear fatiguing, yet no less one of the more aggressive cabs i've heard.

still, curiousity nearly killed me, so a Neo 1210 will hopefully be hitting me doorstep very soon.

10. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Ok, that helps. Sometimes it's hard to talk about sound over the internet... thanks.

They cut through, that's for sure. But I can't say I'm really happy with a Schro yet. Still experimenting. There's a 412 in my future... :bassist:

11. Just curious about the 'wet blanket' comment... are you saying that you found the Accugroove 'more articulate and crisp' than the Epi... that was exactly the opposite of my experience... I found the Accugrooves to have big bottom for their size, but much less upper mid articulation, and a much more 'polite' and less open treble response. Maybe I'm mis-interpreting the 'wet blanket' comment... just curious.

+1 on Wil's comments.... in general, I prefer the tone of the EpiUL line over the Schroeders for my playing style. If the 310UL would get as loud as the Schroeder1212, I would have definitely kept it. The seleniums do open up the top end quite a bit, but it's not really that very smooth Epi treble... much more aggressive and sizzly.. which is not better or worse IMO... just different.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yes, do tell...

and for every one comment that KJ disses the/my UL310, i bring 3 dissing his ridiculous Celinder that 1.) wants to run away to the big city and play SOB's with moi; 2.) knows that jersey is the place to be; 3.) is angry that he's already getting another!!!

13. Ha! You know I love that 310... Vision is using it now and loves it!

14. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

Well, here in Detroit, smooth jazz/fusion gigs, at least $100 per man/a night, and you don't have to worry about too many assholes (if any at all, usually the patrons are pretty respectful) you usually don't end up smelling like the bar, generally eat pretty well (because it isn't some sleezy bar, and sometimes for eat free or at a nice discount), the quality of women is quite nice (but you do get your "bar flys" buzzing around at times), feet don't stick to the floor, paper towels in the bathroom (and if you have to "go" it's generally safe to sit down if you get my meaning), good beer/cocktails, also generally in nice areas (safe to load out at 2AM) I could go on, but at least $100 in your pocket.
    But I'm not sure if KJung has gigged much here in town since he relocated here. He may still be playing at a grocery store some place.

So, how much do those back room, biker bar gigs pay?? Just curious as well!;)

15. +1.... I have the house gig at the Kroger in Lansing:D

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    that still gives me NO consule, especially from a man who will know and yet not share the joys of using a Celinder / TFB / Epifani rig!!! :mad: but you're morethan welcome to share with the good people of the north nj, nyc metro area. :)

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i thought that was him behind aisle 5, holding... yes... a Celinder. :)

18. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Great post, too funny.