anyone A/B'ed Roscoe vs. Cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstrader, Dec 10, 2004.

1. I'm debating whether to pursue a trade, assuming the other party is interested in a Roscoe. What are the differences that you find between the two. Obviously this is pretty subjective, and my Roscoe isn't set up with the usual Barts, it has EMG's that are closer to the bridge.

But your comment are appreciated.
  2. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Your Roscoe is a hand-made bass from one of the premier bass makers in the world. Jimmy Haslip, bass player of the Yellow Jackets and many studio dates plays Roscoe basses. He is considered by many to be one of the best electric bassists in the world. Having seen him live on a number of occasions, I would agree with that statement. His sound is very special, not to mention he plays his ass off. Understand too, Roscoe Basses have a very modern Hi Fidelity sound which may not appeal to everybody, very different than say a vintage P bass or Jazz.

Peavey Cirrus, while one of the better basses built by Peavey, can not be considered in the same time zone as far as quality is concerned. Can you name any top players playing Peavey basses? Not!

Do your self a favor; replace the EMGs with Bartolini PUs and Preamp. You will not be sorry.
  3. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I was going to say, if he really wants to trade a Roscoe for a Cirrus, I've got three for your to chose from! :) Hell I'd trade both the 4 and the 5 maple fretteds heads up.

4. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Yes trade! But don't trade down to a Cirrus! Trade for a Roscoe with the Barts in it!

I love the Roscoe basses. I have a SKB-3006, and I just ordered a SKB-3005 fretless this week. I've played many other high end basses, some that I love as well, but I just love the Roscoes.

I've played a number of Peavey Cirrus basses. I like the way they play very much, but I just don't like the sound of them. They remind me of many Warwicks. To me, they sound like the amp I'm playing through has been funnelled into a cone. It's like the bass has no soul. I like a fat, yet well defined sound. Roscoes and other basses have their own version of what I look for, but the Cirrus just sounds too sterile for me.

Bring your Roscoe to a store that has Cirrus basses and A/B them. If you prefer the Cirrus, then go ahead and look for a trade. My guess is that you'll have plenty of guys willing to trade a Cirrus for a Roscoe.
  5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have an older Roscoe with the EMG's as well. I just got it and I like it even better than the newer Roscoe that I have. Do yourself a favor and call Keith about replacing the pickups in your bass. Than tell him what kind of music you play and what sound you want. He'll help you choose a preamp for the bass. It'll be well worth the extra money. I'm putting Bart dual coils with a Demeter preamp in my older Roscoe. I can't wait!
  6. Troll, if you're serious, here are some pictures:hyper:

Dave Ellefson, Mike Porcaro, Rudy Sarzo all play Cirri, and Stu Hamm uses their amps, so it's not like Peavey makes junk. *Somebody's* hands had to make them! Yeah, Jimmy plays a Roscoe, but He plays a bunch of other instruments too. (not Cirrus though) My point is Roscoe doesn't make you good, nor does Peavey. How you play makes you good (practice). I'm sure he could make an Essex sound decent.

Point well taken. I know of one store here in the Twin Cities that sometimes have them in the store, and another is a big Peavey dealer, although mostly the lower end stuff.

Kind of off subject, has there been any talk of Peavey abandoning the USA Cirrus? I've heard very mixed reviews of the BXP's, esp. build quality, but aren't the electronics the same?

Thanks, keep it coming.
  7. emjazz, I just missed your post. I find the EMG's pretty bright even without an active preamp. ( the pictures and description at the web page I mentioned has a mistake. I was going to install a P-retro in it and put it on the page, and then didn't ever get around to it.) I like a little more growl than I feel like I can get with that setup, I would think that the barts would help with that. Since it's only a three holer I'm going to stay with a two band stack for a preamp. The EMG's are DC40's - anyone with Barts for an even up trade?
  8. bassartist

Apr 26, 2005
    I have a cirrus and just heard a roscoe last night that blew me away. I also have a ken smith and a fender am dlx jazz. I'm looking to trade one or two of them for the roscoe. but which one(s)?
  9. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Which one sounds the best that you want to keep? Which one plays the best that you want to keep? Ultimately, you have to choose which to keep and which to go, but you'll love the Roscoe you finally get!
  10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I personally own a Roscoe LG-3005, a Peavey Cirrus 6, and a Peavey Cirrus 5. I've never played a 2005, or any other EMG configured Roscoe, but I will say this...

I love my Peaveys to death, sold one a while ago and missed it so bad I bought two to replace it. However, as much I love the Cirrus basses, I still say the Roscoe is better. They have legendary B strings, incredible tone, and unique personalities (the Cirrus is basically like a lower cost answer to a Smith). They're special. I'd echo the other guy that said if you don't like the elex, don't change the bass, change the elex. You have a great axe there.
  11. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I played Peavey Cirrus basses exclusively for over five years and really loved them. The Cirrus were fine instruments that had great tone, build quality and playability and I have no regrets about buying and playing them. Great basses.

With that said, I saved my pennies over a couple years and invested in two SKB3006 basses from Keith Roscoe.
    He makes one of the finest instruments out there, period.
    As others have said, there is really no comparison. They are a significant step up in virtually every aspect from the Cirrus. They are simply fantastic.
    Given any opportunity, hold on to the Roscoe!
  12. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I had a Roscoe SKB 3006 with the stock Bartolini preamp and Bartolini pickups and I didn't think it was all that special. Everyone else's Roscoes seemed to sound better than mine for some reason. I ended up selling mine. It had orange quilted maple top, ash body, and birdseye maple fingerboard. I was actually dissapointed in the way it sounded and I didn't find the B string to be all that tight as everyone else raves about. Maybe I just got a dud. I do plan on owning another Roscoe one day, however.