Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone a hockey fan?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by I.M. Fletcher, Feb 18, 2004.

1. I.M. Fletcher

I.M. Fletcher

Feb 18, 2004
    Maryland
    The Washington Capitals just traded Peter Bondra to the Senators.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Yeah, I just heard, but you know the Caps have been trying to unload salary for a while.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Good sport. Good action, good athletes. Hate the fighting.

4. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    My Rangers have been driving me nuts.......the just throw money at the problems approach does not always work.

5. I.M. Fletcher

I.M. Fletcher

Feb 18, 2004
    Maryland
    The Caps had the Rangers problem. They were throwing money at players and still getting worse. Now, we have to endure a several year rebuilding process. I guess that's better than being the laughingstock with the most expensive salary and a death grip on last place.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'll sit over here in a corner as the lone Penguins fan. Kind of embarassing to admit, especially with this glorious home losing streak. :(

-Mike

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Bruins fan here.

8. I.M. Fletcher

I.M. Fletcher

Feb 18, 2004
    Maryland
    Bruins? You guys had SeaBass playing for you, right?

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

DETROIT RED WINGS

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Thrashers and Sharks fan here!

11. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Sharks fan.

12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    NJ Devils Baby!!

13. I kinda like the Penguins, although this season doesn't have much to cheer about. 14 losses in a row?

I'm a huge Vancouver fan, as well as a hometown Montreal fan. Montreal seems to be lagging behind lately, but Vancouver's just 4 points behind Colorado for 1st place in the pacific (and thus, Western conference). So go Canucks!

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Flyers...& they suck.

15. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Nope...I'm in that corner with ya!!! PENGUINS RULE (but not this year---or the past few for that matter)....and I have this in common with you: I used to live in Lacey (I was at Lewis in a former life)--love that area.

PENGUINS!! :hyper: :hyper: :bag:

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Good sport...yes.

Good athletes...yes(these guys endure 3-4 games a week). The playoff run is amazing. Nothing else like in it sports.

Good action...that's arguable. Too much expansion too quick has led to a diluted talent pool. Everyone plays a 'low-risk' game, basically sit back & let the other guy make a mistake. Trust me, I don't equate high scoring games = great action...baseball is more like softball; totally boring. Maybe it's me, the NHL's last 5-6 REGULAR season games have been pretty boring. Maybe next season's lockout will thin the herd.

Hate the fighting...I love it!
    Not 60 minutes of pugilistic endeavors...I like the flashpoint fight.
    I even like the anticipated heavyweight bout(the Probert vs. McSorley contests). I like it when the players administer justice on the ice; if a player wants to get stoopid with his stickwork, IMO, it's better when the players settle it vs. the refs. A bloody nose teaches a lesson better than a 2-minute minor for high sticking.

Dropping the gloves for the team...

17. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Same here. Black and gold in my veins. :bassist:

18. YE yeea yeaa

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    YAY!!! I am not a loner!!! I am glad to see you are still a fan. I grew up a Penguin fan, and I don't care how bad they get, they are still "my" team.

I have lived here since 1979. When did you live out here?

-Mike

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    At this point, I honestly don't care if there is a lockout, and I've been a diehard Blackhawks fan since I was a wee'un. (Though I do have season tickets to my local AHL hockey team, the Chicago Wolves. They have a great billboard in Chicago that says, "We play hockey the old fasioned way- we win." :D)

And as much as I hate hate hate the Hawks front office, I think that Bob Pulford had a very good idea in terms of bringing some of the passion back in the game.

Basically, he wants to dramatically increase divisional play. I can remember back when I was in grade school and it meant something that the Hawks were playing the North Stars, or the Red Wings, or the Blues. There were rivalries, even with all of the expansion teams that were around at that time. Now, the hawks barely see the teams that, in the original six days, they would play two to three times a week! What happened?!

Well, the superfluous number of teams is what happened. If we need to have 5.6 million teams, that's fine, and if it means adding another round to the playoffs, that's fine, but I think that there should be more interdivisional play, and if that means the Hawks don't see some teams at all, so be it. At least some rivalries will be back.