Anyone a love-hate relationship like this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jul 25, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

When the Pink Floyd concert at Live8 took place, I couldn't see it because I was traveling. I've just seen it and I enjoyed it so much (and I don't think the will reunite for a tour or album, BTW, judging by their attitude), but after watching it, I thought of something strange with that band that happens to me: When I think of a classic rock super-group, I can't avoid mention Pink Floyd. That band name is one of the coolest (if not the coolest) sounding to me. Their live act is one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen and I think it's something that everybody should experience in life (at least on video, like me). I always talk of them as the most perfect sounding live rock band I've ever heard (at least the post-Waters lineup). I'd love to have a cool Pink Floyd T-shirt. The reunion was GREAT NEWS for me. When someone asks me which bands we play covers from, Pink Floyd is always the second I mention (after Rush, since we started as a Rush-only band) and that's the band from which we played more songs in our last two-gig tour :meh: . The thing is: I'M NOT A FAN OF THEIR MUSIC. Their mood is very depressive to me. It's hard to hear an "energetic sounding" tune from them. That's why my favorite song from the entire PF catalog is "Young Lust", although I should say that being "Comfortably Numb" such a depressive tune, it's a great one. Anyway, I think I can count with my fingers the songs I really like from them. I was 13 when "The Wall" was released in Colombia and "Another Brick In The Wall Part II" became an instant radio hit. Couldn't understand why (at the time). I started to like "The Wall" after watching the movie, but anyway I've never been interested in having the original "Wall" album. After all these years, still don't like it. And I also think that Mr. Gilmour and Mr. Wright share my tastes, because I read once that after "Animals", they sat to discuss the new project and Roger Waters offered two options: "The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking" and "The Wall". Gilmour and Wright thought that the first was better musically, but the second was conceptually brilliant, so they chose "The Wall", but they said that the only tunes they really liked at first were "Young Lust" and "Comfortably Numb" (Same as me! :hyper: - maybe because David Gilmour has co-writing credits in these songs?). I have both live versions "Is There Anybody Out There?" and "Live In Berlin" by Roger Waters and I like them, but I'd never buy the original album. The thing is, their music doesn't produce the excitement that bands like for example Rush or Deep Purple can create on me, but at the same time I have kinda "atavistic respect" towards them. I'd just like to know if some of you have similar love-hate feelings towards any band (not necessarily PF) and why. Thank you for your input!
  2. Rush...i know geddy and neil are very skilled (sorry alex) but i just don't like 80% of what they play. i like vapor trails and tom sawyer, but everything else just annoys me. it seems like they use the same formula for every song they write...and yet, when they come on the radio, i crank 'em up. and i know that geddy is an amazing bass player, and i although i feel no inspiration from him, his talent is undeniable, same with neil, but i just don't get excited by them.
  3. Well I love PF, but you sure can't listen to them for very long or you definately will be depressed. I like them in small one or two song doses!

Kinda the same thing for me with Rush, but with them I just get tired of the vibe and Geddy's voice after a few songs.

I like both bands a lot and have great respect for the musicianship but a little goes a long way with both. Maybe it's just that prog rock thing that I can't take in big doses.

I know Zeppelin is another band that a lot of people feel this way about, but I can dig that stuff all day.

Here's one I just never like but can appreciate the musicianship of (another prog rock band!) ...."YES"

I know... I know... Chris Squire is amazing, but I just can't stand to listen to them.