Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone able to compress gifs???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Dec 2, 2003.

1. hey guys, i need a quick favor

i made this gif and want to use it as my AIM icon, but the maximum size for one is 7000, and this one is about 17000 :( any hope?

[​IMG]

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    the only way you are going to fit that many pictures into 4k is to compress them so much that jaco will look like wooten and the flecktones will look like a pile of dirt

3. He said 7k.

Here:

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    and I obviously didn't read it and assumed he wanted it for his avatar here :D (4k limit)

5. Hmm. Maybe that was just a hint...?:p

Subliminal Message= (become a supporting member...become a supporting member...become a supporting member...become a supporting member...become a supporting member...become a supporting member...become a supporting member...become a supporting member...become a supporting member...)

6. wow, thanks dee, thats pretty good! could you tell me how you did it? im new to GIFs but im having fun messing with them

7. No problamo.

I used Adobe ImageReady (comes with photoshop) and lowered the colors to about 20 (from 256 - a ridiculous amount needed for this type of GIF).

Perhaps there is an inexpensive alternative to Adobe products for this type of editing(that is if you cant aquire it)...Anyone?

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Graphic converter

great for converting all types of images, adjusting the size, the resolution, color range...etc.

it's shareware, but if you can live with a timed "buy this software" box every time you open the program, it's a great solution.

9. heh, i have image ready (as well as photoshop) but imageready + me = noob...

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I went over this with Joe Turski, here is what I have done with image ready,

1 crop out everyting you don't need, using Image/crop. which means select with a rectangle, crop, and everything outside the box is deleted.

2]cut it down to the image size, for example
    TB is 75 x 75

3]now start reducing the colors. You can go down to 6 or 5 on some animations and still have it ok.

4}Save each time with a different name so you know what the parameters are. ie
    [check the size each time you save !!]

5} if the animation has more than 10 frames, such as 24 frames, you will have to delete it down to 10 frames or so.

6] Play at these parameters till you squeeze it to the limit you need.

It's all about compromises.

PS Defeldus, I just did it by trial and error, I'm still learning.

the functions are
    main menu/image/crop
    main menu/image/image size
    view/show optimize menu/ gif/# of colors
    show animation menu/ select frame/trashcan
    have fun

T

11. wow, thanks Thor! ill give it a try tommorow

12. Yes, thank you for including the extended version. I guess im just too lazy.

13. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Thor, you are the $#*t. But you already know this! ;)