Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone acctully LIKE Gibson EB-O's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 74rickbass, Sep 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Does anyone here like gibson EB-O's?
    It's fairly easy to find someone who likes the look, but someone who likes the sound is another story.

I personally like the Look/sound.
    Also, Does anyone have one?
    and if you can, post some pics please.

2. I have an EB-3, the action is great, the look is the best, the sound is actually really good. I personnally would not go for an EB-0 though, the mini-humbucker adds a lot of good sound to the amp. The sidewinder has a good sound, but I wouldn't be happy with just that one pickup. I'd shell out the little extra money and go for the EB-3, you get a lot more for just a little extra cash, besides they don't look as cool either!
    Doug

3. LeeP

LeeP

Aug 22, 2002
    Frankfort, KY
    The only bass I've ever owned is a 1976 EB-3 long scale. I got it new when I was in 9th grade, and have been playing it ever since. I've been very satisfied with the sound, I'm no pro but I've played just about everything on it and it does fine - except for the slappin' & poppin'.

It's all original - it is overdue for a good clean up of the electronics, but it's still got a lot of miles left in it!

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Nope.

5. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Yep, get the EB-3. Mine's a 1970 model. It's definitely got its own sound. The electronics in mine are starting to get suspect so I don't take it out on the road anymore.

Just found out that Bob Daisley recorded Ozzy's first album with an EB-3 through a Marshall half stack. I always wondered how he got that great sound on that album! FWIW, he recorded "Diary of a Madman" with a Fender P-Bass through an Ampeg SVT.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have an EBO that's about forty yrs old. Best I can tell it's a '61. I rescued it from someone who had taken it apart and sanded the finish off. I have all the parts for it except I still need to find some tuners.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No, not in the least.

8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Allen Woody got a great sound out of an EB-2 (the hollowbody version) in Gov't Mule. He owned a lot of vintage EB-0s and EB-2s. And of course Jack Bruce did pretty well with one, too. So that is two people who like them....

They aren't for everyone, but they have a unique sound that has it's place. I have an Epiphone EB-3 that sounds pretty good, but it's sound is rather limited and I don't really have a use for it. Maybe I could start a Cream tribute band....

9. I've had my EB-0 since 1974, and although it was my workhorse back then, I still remember how tough it was to try and get ANY sort of mid-range sound out.

Although I'll never sell it (sentimental reasons), having the versatility of my F-Basses is literally another planet away in playability and tone variety.

But I always loved the symmetrical look......
    this pic is circa 1976

:D
    [​IMG]

10. The EB-3 is great for rock or punk, but I can see how all those Funk slapsters would dread this bass. Nevermind them, they can keep all their 5 string slap bass nonsense.

Doug

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    For rock, I love 'em!

12. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    My small hands dictated that my first bass should probably be a short scale. When I first played "Pearl", she was a cherry red 68 EBO. I loved the playability, but had problems with the intonation on the E string and the Gibson "thunder" not cutting through the 2 guitarists. So I had a local luthier add the EB3 Bridge pu and 3 way switch, and that helped some. Then I replaced the stock bridge with an original Bad Ass. This was the answer to my intonation problems. Still not completely satisfied, I switched out the original pu with a Dimarzio model one with in and out phase switch. This cleaned up the mud. Mahogany definately sounds different than the other tone woods :) ! I would never sell Pearl and she gets played in Church regularly.

13. I used a '69 EB-0 as my main bass for about 6 months last year. I didn't care for all the mud, mud and nothin' but mud. I am definitely an old school 4 stringer but Fender and Reverend are my basses of choice.

14. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I'm not getting my picture to post so Email me at rumblethump@yahoo.com and I will send you a jpg of her. "Completely hand carved"

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I personally hate Gibson basses. The ones I have played have had no tone, felt terrible, and done absolutely nothing for me. SO there.

Keep the swearing out of your posts from now on. Masking profanity with 1 asterisk doesn't cut it, and won't be tolerated. Thank you.

16. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Have you tried a Thunderbird? Totally different bass than the EB series. The ultimate rock tone, with a nice, jazz-like neck. Not all Gibsons are created equal.

And why are you so angry?

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

He was just reflecting the attitude of the person's post that he quoted.

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yes, I have tried a Thunderbird. I have given all that I have had the opportunity to try a fair shot. They just simply didn't do it for me.

I am not angry. Embellisher had it right on the money. Go and reread the post that I was responding to. I made an opposite point in about the same tone, albeit a shorter version. Not angry at all.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Hey... somebody's got to buy them;)

20. I never liked the "SG" basses, and i dont like the G-3s, Rippers, Grabbers, or T-birds very much either. All of them always sound a bit "rubbery" to me.

i never did try an LP bass - though i remember when those walnut colored 'Recording" models were popular. Hey, did aybody here ever try the "20-20" (steinberger-esque) basses that gibson once made???

On the "bright" side, the 80s "Victory" basses are very solid sounding! Lots of hard maple in those...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.