1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

anyone actually done this??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johans, Aug 22, 2007.

1. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    guys,

got a crazy thought running passed mine ..

thought of purchasing pedals from online, trying them, reviewing them, keep what i like and exchange the rest with new sets of pedals etc and go on ..

anyone actually thought of it or already doing it?? :confused:

2. thats the best way to get the pedals you like the best...
    buying them from ebay, here, or new from MF or someplace.
    try em, sell em, ect.

3. perhaps many have tried, but failed, in that, they never returned the effects :hyper:

4. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    hahaa..

yeahh thought of getting them from mf or 123 .. just not so sure if they might see the extensive return as a problem :p

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Virtually every piece of gear I buy has the contingency plan of selling it later on in case things don't work out.

Reason being is that it takes more than 5 minutes to determine whether or not said gear is The One.

6. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    well said :)

talk about gas ...

can't wait till the new ehx pedals are out

7. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    yeah plenty of people do it

Jetpackbassist and bongomania do this a lot I believe

I have bought several items that were on a trial basis, I returned most of those, haha. some things I knew I wanted before I bought them, like the POG or the Qtron, the LBM I own was on a trial basis but I kept it

8. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    I was just going to ask if people did this. Because the way its looking now, I'm probably going to order like 3 different overdrive pedals and return two of them. Musiciansfriend has a 45 day return policy... that's not too bad. But you're out the cost of shipping the pedals back to them. That was like 5 bucks when I sent back my Carl Martin Comp/Limiter.

9. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    thats why you should do it through a GC or other shop

I think you technically cant return special orders at GC but jetpackdudeguy says he would let the customer return them to keep them happy so hey continue to shop there

just hope you get a good guy who isn't pissy!

I did this with the bass blowtorch at my local gutiar shop. as long as it is something they have a good probability of selling they will take it back

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I never bought effects another way.
    Which is why I usually buy 2nd hand.

11. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    That's pretty much how I buy most gear. Research it to see if it looks like it'll work, try it out at a store if possible and then buy it. Play around with it at home, then take it to a band practice and tweak it some more. If it makes it to a gig and passes that test, then it's a keeper. Until I change my mind, anyway! GAS can be brutal...

Thing is, trying it out at a music store isn't going to tell you much. Maybe you bring in your own bass (haven't seen many people do that, and I usually don't), and stores don't have the same rack rig that I have but usually something that I know well enough. You're also not playing next to a loud drummer and guitar player, so it's not a real world test.

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah, so there's two ways of doing this:
    1) The way Johans is describing, where you take advantage of a retailer's 30-day (or whatever) return policy, and just keep returning and returning and returning.
    2) Buying gear used off TB or Ebay etc. and reselling it when done.

I am a maniac for method #2, that's how I do all my compressor reviewing. But I have been tempted to go with method #1... my only hesitations are that I don't want to cause headaches for a small retailer (being a small retailer myself), and I would feel silly if I went past the return time period and then decided I didn't want the pedal after all. Sometimes it does take a while to properly evaluate a piece of gear, and sometimes I have other stuff to take care of in life.

But I think with a larger e-tailer like MF or Zzounds/Sam Ash/Music123/etc., if they have a generous return policy, I may start just doing that. Order, return, repeat. :)

13. Unknowndude

Unknowndude

Apr 20, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Yep, all of my current effects besides the cheap danelectros, I got from here. A lot were trades, from pedals I got here and didn't like.

14. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    yeay :)

then im not the lone one having this 'crazy' thoughts :)

allrighty .. order awayy :bassist:

15. Thats how I acquire most the music equipment that I own. I buy it off TB or ebay normally.

I have no decent shops near me, so I have to buy so that I can try. Usually the gear is second hand so I don't have a return policy, but because gear is cheap overseas online, I can normally buy something and if I don't like it, then I easily sell it privately in Australia for a profit anyway...

About a year ago I bought 2x vintage basses for a great price. I sold them both and made approx $3500 Aud profit. That profit is what I have used to buy newer pedals.

If you are smart with what you buy then being a bass player is a relatively cheap hobby! Its quite self sustaining.... If you can afford to put a couple of grand into some gear, then it just keeps going round in circles from then on. Sometimes I find im acquiring mass gear and still at roughly the same cost I put in in the first place, if not, making a profit here and there!

My flatmate does cars up... I just see him pour in more and more money with very little hope of seeing any back.

16. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    guitar center has a 30 day dealy. that should save you on shipping

17. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    well..

don't think i'll go to GC :)

given several times they will know you as a frequent returner and won't be as friendly to you anymore .. plug your long receipt shows all your 'return' history ..

18. Obviously, being from Australia, I don't get down to GC very often... But, if their policy is that you can return with no questions asked, then I wouldn't really care what they thought of me. Also, its not like you would be returning everything. Surely at sometime, you would get an effect that would be a keeper!

19. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    Well, there, I just made a rediculously huge musicians friend order for 3 different pedals, two of which i will return. We'll see how this goes.

20. I'm sick of the attitude of retailers that won't let you try stuff. I'm revolting!

Case in point: I want a new mobile phone but do you think you can actually find a shop anywhere in the world that will have real, working phones with charged batteries so you can actually try the thing out before you fork over hundreds of dollars? NO!

In fact, when I ask for a proper demo, most people look at me like I've just asked them to check my prostate! "You... what? You want to try the phone? But Sir, um... well... we can't let you do that, Sir."

To me it's like buying a car without being allowed to open the doors, let alone take it for a test drive.

So, um, my point...

If GC start treating their customers like lesser human beings FOR ANY REASON then they don't deserve anyone's business. It's utterly ridiculous and stupid that making use of their own returns policy causes them to blacklist your name!