1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone actually learn to play by reading "Bass Guitar For Dummies"?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Direct Box Rox, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    I'm wondering how far someone took their bass playing strictly from the "Bass Guitar For Dummies" book? I have a copy laying around but traditionally with other things, I do better with an instructor vs. reading a book & trying to figure it out yourself.

I'm sure there has to be people out there that have learned from reading/studying this book (I would think :)

2. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Plus one for Dummies. Also plus one for knee to knee instruction from another human.

I also need to see the big picture of where I should be going. Dummies did help with that.

Another plus for knowing how we, as individuals, learn... What is the best way for me? I need to see it, and know why it is going to work. I'm not big on just hearing it.

Offered for what it is worth.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  3. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    You can't learn to play by reading it, you have to practice too :)

Direct Box Rox likes this.
  4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    A book.. or instructor...for that matter, can never reveal EVERYTHING you need to know. Sooner or later you'll have to start figuring out things your self.

IMO the "Dummies" book is as good as most out there.

5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Anytime anyone writes a book about something I'm interested in or something I'm doing I'll read it. You never know what you'll learn by seeing someone else's point of view.

6. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Plus 1 ^. Going back over a book for the second time, say six months later, has revealed somethings for me. Sometime I was not ready for all the book had to say and then as my skill level advanced - I was ready by the second reading... That Auha moment. :cool:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    pablomago and Chili_Time like this.
  7. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    It may not be the best bass learning book, but it is definitely worth reading.

8. VariableStar

VariableStar

Jul 23, 2019
    Sweden
    I have "Bass Guitar for dummies" and can attest it is a very good beginner book. Good material, clearly explained, at a very reasonable price. Of course it does not replace a teacher, but is a good complement IMO.