1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Actually use the Foam Mutes on a Music Man Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spectre Gunner, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Use the MM mutes all the time

10.5%
  2. Use the mutes sometimes

31.6%
  3. Never use the mutes

42.1%
  4. Tried it and didn't like it

5.3%
  5. Other - Please Elaborate

10.5%
  1. Spectre Gunner

Spectre Gunner Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tampa, Florida
    I recently acquired a beautiful 30 year old Salmon colored MM Stingray 5 in mint condition. I don't use the term mint for a used bass but this one really is mint. It had to have been just sitting in it's case it's whole life.

I'm new to Music Man basses since I've primarily owned Fenders. I didn't know the bridge has adjustable foam mutes for each string until I checked out this bass. None of them are touching the strings right now and I haven't tried these yet. It looks like a well thought out design for a foam mute and seems to be much better than trying to stuff a piece of foam under the strings.

Whenever, I wanted to mute the open strings on my 4 strings I just used the V-Wrap near the nut. I'm a little better at controlling the strings these days and haven't felt the need to use a mute but I was wondering how many of you MM players use this bridge mute device and how effective is it for you?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  2. Spectre Gunner

Jun 8, 2016
    Tampa, Florida
  3. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    That looks like a classic musicman not an old bass. The pickguard didint look like that

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    When I had a Stingray with mutes, I used them. It was a nice, darker sound with no sustain.

6. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have 30 year old Musicman fivers and they didn't come with foam mutes.

five7, FugaziBomb and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  7. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    That is a fairly new Classic Stingray 5, not a 30 year old bass.

8. Spectre Gunner

Jun 8, 2016
    Tampa, Florida
    I can't claim I know enough about the Music Man lineup or history to know for sure. I'm going by what the trusted salesman told me. I know him well enough that he would not intentionally give me false info intentionally but it's possible he could have been mistaken. It has the 2 band active EQ and figured (Birdseye ?) maple neck/fretboard) and it's built solid. It's certainly not a lightweight and its weight could indicate it's a mahogany body instead of ash. Regardless, this one is immaculate.

Is the serial number located in the 6 bolt neck pocket? I hope not, I don't really want to take the neck off but I will if I must verify it's age.

9. Spectre Gunner

Jun 8, 2016
    Tampa, Florida
    New Classic or vintage It may be returned to the store I bought it from but only to help finance an expensive beautiful simulated abalone block neck (with matching pickguard) 5 string NYC Satin Line Sadowsky 5 I've grown attached to. Apparently, Sadowsky isn't making the satin line anymore and they are getting hard to find. I better try the mutes soon.

Speaking of buying the Sadowsky, I'll be putting up a 2017 Fender Pro Jazz and a 2016 Fender Elite Jazz up for sale as soon as I get the photo-shoot done.

10. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    He was mistaken. It's still a cool bass, though, what did you pay?

FugaziBomb likes this.
  11. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Sorry my man the trusted salesman duped you and there is no way he did not know unless he knows nothing and has no access to the internet. This is a Stingray 5 1990 note the pickguard and body carve, yours is a slab body.
    attachment.jpg

five7, jerry, bass08053 and 1 other person like this.
  12. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Don't be so hasty. There are a few old ones like that, and yours looks like one of them. The preamp might have a date sticker on it...

Spectre Gunner likes this.
  13. king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    That bass never existed in the past. The OP has a Classic Stingray 5, which is a modern bass created by EB at the same time as the current classic series basses. Interestingly the "Classic" moniker with regard to this bass is actually misnomer.

14. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    That's a StingRay Classic 5. I have the same bass (color and everything). I also have a 1992 StingRay 5 (so, nearly - gasp! - 30 years old) and they are very different.

To answer the question, I used the mutes for about five minutes. They aren't exactly quick to dial up or down so you kind of have to commit to using them or not.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That beautiful salmon colored Stingray is about five or six years old. The original SR5’s had the oddly shaped pick guard, a coil splitter and a three band eq like a Sterling. The five string Classic is what such a bass would have looked like if the original Music Man had come in a five. It has mutes because it emulates the Seventies Stingrays.

16. Spectre Gunner

Jun 8, 2016
    Tampa, Florida
    The salesman is a good friend of mine and I know his level of integrity is high. He would not try to dupe me but he's human and may have just been misinformed himself. Even if it's a used Classic I still paid fair market value for a nearly new Classic. Also, I can return it for full value and I probably will to help finance the Sadowsky.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  17. Rlbragg15

Rlbragg15

May 25, 2013
    ATL
    Great looking bass. I hesitated a few years ago and didn't jump on a Classic 4 string with that color option. That being said, your bass is definitely a recent 5 string Classic series and a great bass.

Spectre Gunner likes this.
  18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Serial numbers on the Classics are stamped on the bridge just below the saddles. I think all the Classics start with B whereas the older Stingray 5s are either all numbers or start with E for the most part. I’m not sure where the older ones are, but serial on my 2011 SR5 is on the neckplate.

Slab body, figured neck. Not the typical SR5 pickguard shape.

I’d bet money you have a Classic. Not a bad thing. I love my 4 string Classic. Either the guy is a bad salesman or who duped you. It’s very easy to find out when a MM was made now that their own website has a SN database.

To answer your question, I use them sometimes. It really depends on what strings I have on.

jerry and Spectre Gunner like this.
  19. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Okay , took me 5 seconds to Google "1990 stingray 5" that was the first image. Obvious differences. Misinformed? Okay.
    Stingray 5 classic for sale take a look
    For Sale - Musicman Classic 5 Stingray - Sunburst

Cool bass either way I love the Salmon and white pickup cover.
    The price is good to you, cool .

The mutes would not see much use by me.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    SteveCS and Spectre Gunner like this.
  20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am not calling him a crook. Salesmen often do not know as much as they act like they do. I ran across an American made Music Man S.U.B. Stingray 5 that was labeled as an import although the headstock clearly said made in SLO. It was $249 when it should have been at least twice that.