Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone applying to college this year?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lamborghini98, Nov 8, 2005.

1. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Just curious. Is/has anyone used their bass playing skills as a major part of their application?

2. I've applied for a place in the Elder School of Music at Adelaide University. Just depends if my letter got there or not, I guess.

3. Yessir.

I'm waiting for my end o' semester grades and I'll be hearing back from GWU. I'm planning to use my bass playing to get into their Minor in Jazz Studies.

4. Ive applied to NC State so far, and I used the fact that I volunteer my playing for church worship services, but I do not plan on majoring/minoring in any music type thing (hence my application to State, and not somewhere else).

5. Absolutely. I applied as a music major, auditioned and passed the audition. (On URB) I changed my major when scheduling my fall classes freshman year.

6. Yea, I'm auditioning in February to Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, WA on URB. If there is time, I might pull out the old 6-string.

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    it's been two years since i applied to college, and i never planned on majoring in anything music-related, so if that little factoid found its way in my app, it was kind of a detail.

oh, right. one of the questions on the MIT app was about what i did besides school that...something, something. and i wrote about my band.

i didn't get in, but probably because two kids in my county outscored my sat math scores (although i beat'em in english :spit: ). and of us three, only one got in. :meh:

i honestly don't remember the other essays i wrote for the schools that i actually did get into. i might have mentioned my bass playing as a hobby or something. :meh:

8. If you dont mind my asking Brad, what was your SAT score? A kid from my highschool turned MIT down in favor of Princeton, it ticked me off. Id love to go there, but that wont ever happen.

9. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I haven't yet, but will soon. I'll be applying to North Central University in Minneapolis, MN. I'll be auditioning for a scholarship. It's also a huge benefit that I've played bass at my church for the last 7 years.

Along with the audition, I think I have to take a music theory test. I have no idea where to start with theory...

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Applying to the University of Toronto and McGill University's jazz studies program with a specialty in upright bass, and Humber College's contemporary music program.

11. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    combined best was 1530, which was the average for MIT at the time. (not sure what it is now.)

but i guess i wasn't "average" enough. :D

12. Daaaaaaang, thats a mighty impressive score, my high is only 1320...shhh....

13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i feel kinda low now.

mine was only 1130

14. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I never took the SATs. They aren't really required for any school in Michigan. Did "fairly" well on my ACTs, though. Enough that the school I'm now attending accepted me on my score alone.

15. Its bragging time. My girlfriend absolutely smoked the ACT, she got a 35, with 36 possible points.

Im sorry, am I not supposed to do that? :bag:

16. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    if ya wanna see what other tb'ers got on their sat's, this is the thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18623&page=2&pp=20&highlight=SAT+scores

it doesn't make sense to compare scores from tests taken before and after ...some certain year in the '90s. 92 or something... cuz the test was rescaled since scores were getting lower each year.

and in case you're curious, i DIDN'T get national merit, which is a travesty, as i outscore the national merit kids in my math and physics courses.

but they get paid $40,000 to go to school and i don't.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

17. Travesty? Thats just plain retarded. Stupid merit kids.

18. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    32 overall. One of my friends got a 35 overall.

I heard if anyone gets a 36, they make the test harder. :D

19. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

i'll let you in on the university of florida's most poorly kept secret:

they use national merit students to bolster their national standing.

we're very proud of the fact that we bribe national merit students to go here, solely so that we can claim that we have the highest number of national merit students in the nation.

want to see how that works? here's what i read in a newspaper last year:

the university of florida had the most national merit students in 2004. harvard was number two.

see? nearly overnight, we are in the same category as harvard! :hyper:

:eyebrow:

and the plot thickens: the standards for national merit vary from state to state. it's based solely on the performance of individuals in the state--a certain top percentile gets nominated for the scholarship (i fell in this category), and the top scores of this bunch gets the actual scholarship.

so, being in florida, which has the 47th worst school system in the country, we have pretty low standards. so a relatively low score gets one the scholarship, compared to our friends from, say ...anwhere that's not alabama, mississippi, or louisiana. :D (i might be off with those three--i'm sure that louisiana is at the bottom, though, or was when i was in high school!)

yeah, so what this means is that the administration is luring in students who may not even be all that exceptional and using them to bolster the rep of the school.

...not that i'm complaining--i'm just bitter as all hell that i'm not getting $40k to go to school while i'm pwning more than just a few national merit dodo's in my classes.

:spit:

...anyway, what's this thread about, again? :D

20. Thats mighty interesting, but seems a little wack. Oh well, I'm sure Florida isn't the only place that does this.

I'd be pretty p***ed too if I didn't get 40K with those kinds of scores, not that I'd ever be able to, I'm too lazy and unmotivated about school to make myself have insane grades and be at the top of my class. I also don't have time, between just being at school, work and playing in various bands. Money needs to be given not just for grades, but for the character of the person in all aspects of their life. My 2 pennies.

Oh yeah, I think we were talking about if anyone's applied to college. :D

Dave