anyone been ripped off buying bass gear via internet?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boozy, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    well, about 2 weeks ago or so, there was an auction on ebay for 2 evm-15b speakers.. i had email corresponded with the guy selling them, he assured me that they were in great condition... the auction ended before I could bid but he told me that he would sell them to me for 160.00 + shipping... (55.00) in USD... i paid for them via paypal and he said he would ship them ASAP.
    since paying via paypal, he has not responded to any of my emails.
    he has good feedback on ebay, but this wasnt actually through ebay.. he seemed like a good guy and i didnt think this would happen.
    i have all of our emails back and forth to one another, i have the email from paypal that they send you when you pay for something, i have his email address and appearant name + all his ebay info..

anyone suggest something i might be able to do to this guy, other than flying down to the states and smashing his face in?

2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Start a new ebay account, wait for his next auction, run the price way up and win, then don't pay. Maybe?

Paypal offers no recourse for you?
  3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    If you used your credit card to pay through pay-pal, you have 30 days to report the incident to them. Your credit card company will get your refund. Don't delay. Also report the transaction to Pay-pal as he has an account with them too.
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Yep! If he does not ship the items you bought that is considered mail fraud I think. That is a felony in the United States.

I think you contact the Postal Inspector for that? Does anyone know?
  5. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I think mail fraud protection is limited to when you pay w/ a postal MO. But I don't know that.
  6. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    well, I payed via paypal on july 13th (my birthday of all days) and I emailed him for the last time today telling him that if he doesnt respond I will be contacting paypal, my credit card company, and ebay, explaining what has happened. Hopefully, something is done about this. I will also copy and paste our emails here at TB, along with his email address and ebay handle, in hopes that I can stop someone else from buying from this peice of trash. I dont want to do that until I am 100% certain that he has ripped me off. I have noticed that he has sold atleast one other peice of bass gear (a GK 210 bass cab) on ebay so who knows, maybe he frequents the good ol' TB forums.

thanks for all the help, I am not sure what paypal can do about this, but hopefully they can do something.. worth a try at very least.

7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

That's good. If he responds though don't let him string you along further...if he says that he's still going to send them tell him you want a tracking number by the end of tomorrow or something.

brad cook
  8. it's mail fraud,i rember that from when i got riped off.if u get any thing and its not the way the person desribed it its also mail fraud . and i was told u can screw him over by going to the i.r.s ,i cant rember wat the i.r.s would do but i think its some thing along the lines of not paying tax or selling iteims with a out a tax card(sorry i cant rember right now),but i knwo if the person has sold alot of itiems he get in alot more trouble.ill look for my old post when some one told me to call ebay, and the i r s.
  9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Don't bother complaining to eBay, they won't care since this wasn't an auction purchase...
  10. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm unfortunately going through something similar. It's pretty much taking it's toll on me emotionally.

In May, by the encouragement of my brother and mom, I signed up at Ebay and for a PayPal account to bid on a bass amp. Now, I've had no income at all for 2 years now and had no clue how I was gonna pay it off, but I was encouraged to take the chance. All I have now is a practice amp that's slowly wearing itself out and I can't get into a band without proper gigging gear. No band. No money. Trapped. Etc. Soooo...I bid on the amp. The guy had good feedback so I felt pretty good about it. The auction ended May 26th and I won it! Who'd think I'd win the very first auction I bid on?!

So I emailed the seller to state that I was paying with PayPal and then I sent my payment in (on 5/27). I thought I'd hear from him the next day but I didn't so I emailed him back. He emailed me on 6/3 and said that he was having trouble finding a shipping box and would ship it out "tomorrow" (6/4). I thought 'ok' so I waited a few days. Between 6/11 to 6/20 I emailed this guy 3 times asking if he shipped out my amp, but got no response. By this time ppl who had won other auctions were starting to get their items, as I was checking on his feedback and he was receiving more good feedback, so I thought 'hmm'. I didn't know what to do so I filed complaints at Square Trade and PayPal. Got no help from Square Trade and PayPal replied back to me that the seller was at fault but they couldn't get me my money back (the seller had insufficient funds in their account). ARRGGHH!! So I filed a complaint at Ebay.

Around this time I had checked this guy's feedback once again and noticed TWO or three COMPLAINTS! These folks had paid with PayPal as well and never got their items so I thought I'd get in touch with them. The one person said he called the guy but the person on the other end of the phone line said no such person lived there. Interesting...

Well, guess what, I heard from the seller on 7/4. He claimed he did ship out my amp along with other items. He said some made their destination. Some didn't and he was going to call the post office to track them down. I emailed him back and I said I wanted proof that he shipped it out. He never even told me the shipping method so I don't even know if it was UPS, Fed Ex, or what. I also said I want a tracking number or any other shipping info he can give me plus a copy of the receipt from the post office (I had put insurance on the amp). Between 7/4 to 7/15 I emailed him 4 times asking for proof he shipped out the amp, but I never heard from him again.

I have my credit card working on trying to get my money back. I am also ready to file a Protection Claim. If worse comes to worse I'm suing him.

This has really dampened my spirits. I'm out $205 that I shouldn't have spent in the first place. Was so excited because I was emailing ppl about bands thinking I'd have the gear, but now that's done for, ya know?

I hope things work out for you. Personally, I doubt I will ever deal with buying anything off the internet like this again. :(
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm very sorry to hear about that, Stephanie.

I've bought a few basses, a couple amps, a preamp, and a few speaker cabinets via private sale over the internet (none over eBay!) with good luck: meaning, no ripoffs (knock wood). A couple of these items weren't described 100% accurately (usually but not always in the seller's favor), but none of the discrepancies were major IMO. Most of the deals went very smoothly (thanks to boogiebass for my most recent perfect transaction).

I often read horror stories and truly empathize. Anyone can get burned, even careful buyers.
  12. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    he responded today! he said:
    sorry for the delay.. he had a family tadgedy and he said that he had emailed me telling me that something had happened and that the speakers wouldnt be shipped until the 25th (this email i did not receive)..
    i responded telling him i did not receive that email and that he should always RESPOND so as to never get the email address wrong.. ***this makes me feel like he is plain out laying as I KNOW i didnt get that email***
    I also asked for a tracking number of some sort..
    he then responded saying:
    "THe EV speakers were shipped USPS INTERNATIONAL AIR. The only ID # is the customS # which i dont have and they don't provide. USPS AIR takes 5-10 Days from the actual ship date. The shipping were 58.55 US. The speakers were delivered on Fri the 25th in the PM So the actual ship date may have been the 28th."

he left 2 phone numbers where i could reach him, i basically said okay, if they are not here before the 30 day time limit for filing claims with paypal, i will go ahead and file a claim.

i'm a pretty nice guy and i actually feel bad for saying all this to him as he does seem to have a good track record, but still, what is a guy to do when he doesnt get a response or the shipment 2 weeks after paying for the item?

hopefully al works out in the end, again thank for all your input everyone.

PS: Stephanie, sorry to hear about what happened to you, hopefully it will come back to you one day in another way :)
  13. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Just another reason that I only do deals on the Dudepit and with established talkbassers.
  14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, SCREW YOU TOO cheezewiz!!!

I buy pretty much all my gear online, I don't like to shop, and am happy finding nice used gear that's not available in my area.

I've sent out a few G's over the last month, so good.
  15. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Well..I have completed around 60 transactions on eBay with 29 different sellers, and never had a problem. I had one recent 'scare'- bought a lovely Guild JF65 12 String..sent money, didn't hear from the seller for 10 days. Turns out he was on a vacation. Anyway, got the guitar, and it's amazing.

I am very cautious in whom I buy from, and I only buy if I am getting a really good deal.
  16. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    well, he shipped the speakers to me, but I got totally ripped off.

granted, I have not hooked them up yet, but one of them, if you even apply the slightest bit of pressure to push the speaker in, it rubs bad and makes a very crappy sound. He specifically told me these were perfect "no rips, rubs, noises, absolutely perfect"... ya right.
    he also said they were original evm-15B's.. well, you can see the small stamp on the magnet showing "EVM-15L" but they must have been reconed because the cones are not ribbed, they are smoothe.

I guess it is my fault for trusting someone who cant provide pictures.

i'm so hurt.. i even said to him "I just blew my speakers and I will be soooo hurt if these arrive and they are anything less than perfect"... well ARGH, FCUK, KILL... i'm quite hurt.

I have not called him yet but I will and frankly I dont feel bad about posting his info as he clearly ripped me off and he knew it the whole time.

I guarantee this guy would hate for me to show up on his doorstep!
  17. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ