1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone been watching the prices on vintage Mustangs and Musicmasters?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BusyFingers, Dec 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Just curious what the trend is. They're ranging between $800-1,000 and up in most auctions, but that's more than I believe they're worth for what they are.

I'm wondering if this is an upward trend or has the prices these things are fetching going down?

I think they're more like $600 basses in our current economy.

2. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I picked up a Musicmaster 10 years ago for $300. I see them going for $800 or so nowadays.

3. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I recently paid $700. for a cij mustang, 100% original, a1 mint condition, case included. I got the seller to drop from $800,. but i couldnt get him to go any lower and i really wanted the bass. You would have to find an old/new stock mustang to match the condition of this bass!

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Although some people believe certain objects have an objective, intrinsic value, any particular good or service is ultimately only worth what buyers are willing to pay for it. That leads us to the concepts of supply and demand.
    The supply of a good or service is how much producers are willing to make at a given price. The demand for a good or service is how much consumers are willing to buy at a given price.
    Supply and demand interact with two other factors: quantity (how much of the good or service ends up in the market) and price (what is charged for the product or service given supply,demand, and quantity in the market).

In other words, it might look good on paper, but...

Seriously, I doubt very few are selling at these prices. Check out thr Peavy T-40s on ebay. The $400-$500 ones are selling, but the same old $600 and $700+ ones have been floating around there for years.

5. BaileyMan

BaileyMan

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    I sold a '78 Musicmaster for $500 or $600 earlier this year. Desirable mojo, not mint, but with a bunch of recent work (leveled frets, new nut, and custom pickup to replace the 6-pole guitar pickup in those basses). It sold quickly. I could have probably gotten more for it. But considering that I bought it for $50 from a friend of mine more than 20 years ago, I was happy to get what I got for it. If it still had the original paint and an original case, and fewer dings on the neck, I would have mos def asked for more like $800.