Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone besides me excited yet?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Chrix, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    So far it looks like a good year for jazz recordings. The newest Pat Metheny Group album came out late last month and next week is the next installment from the Dave Holland Big Band (who has left ECM to start his own label through Sunnyside).

Looks like a fabulous way to start the year off. :hyper:

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I just listened to some samples and read reviews of Pat Metheny's new release. It's a continuous 68-minute piece. Some people rave about it, and some people really disliked it.

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'd gather it's fairly good then. When such a scenario occurs, it usually means one of two things: it is really trendy and beats a dead horse, or it is innovative and very interesting. Either scenario tends to cause sharp division in listeners it seems. I joined BMG's jazz club this year, and is has been pretty good for collecting the older stuff (mingus, coltrane, ellington, etc), but newer releases can take awhile to get ahold of. I have managed to get a proportionatly high amount of free albums by patronizing teh occasional pop artist. I'll have to check out the Dave Holland disc!

4. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn

On a personal level, I'd concur with this statement in regards to the new PMG disc. It definitely is not an easy listen and takes some time to do so. My arranging teacher likens it to a symphony that takes the same amount of time and effort to listen to. If you want some PMG to listen to in your car, get Still Life Talking or Letter From Home. But this one takes some time and I applaud Metheny for not catering to the lowest common denominator and for always being fresh.

As far as the Holland goes, I'm excited that he's including his Montreux Suite. I got to hear it at the Chicago Jazz Festival and cannot wait to hear it.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    He (Pat M) sort of messed around with that idea on that "Wichita Falls" thing, what was that called?

I'd be interested in hearing the new one, not sure if I want to shell out the $$$ for it!

6. As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls.

7. pentexlovesme

pentexlovesme

Mar 28, 2004
    Seattle
    I just saw Dave Holland play live down at the Portland Jazz festival...It was the first time experiencing his music, and if the cd coming out is any where as awesome as his playing the other night, then I will defenitly pick it up!