1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone besides me not really a Fender fan?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Melodicgroove, Apr 30, 2009.

1. No disrespect, but I have never understood what's so great about Fender basses. I've had two jazz basses, and one p bass. For Guitar driven rock the Jazz basses always did better for me but they just feel goofy. P basses are my worst nightmare. I tend to dig in really hard when playing and they just don't amplify the way I want them too. I can barely hear it, but ten foot in front of me you would be holding your ears. I will say that Fender and Ampeg amps go hand in hand, but I can't say that I've ever been an ampeg fan either. What's your take?

2. Deja Vu

3. Deja Vu

4. ~

5. I own (and have owned) countless Ps and Js.

Like you, I've found them to be overrated and hit/miss for quality, sound and feel.

I comonly tell young beginners to search a Foundation (J) or a Fury UUSA (P) if they want a bass that will uniformly be better at a better value.

Periodically I'll find Ps that fell/sound OK..

I'd sell my fender stuff it it was depreciating.

6. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    I feel the same as you about fender and ampeg

overrated IMHO

so your not alone ;)

7. Cygnus_2112

Cygnus_2112

Apr 25, 2009
    I don't much care for them myself. The only Fender I play is a Geddy Lee jazz, and that's only because it's built and plays so differently as compared to say, american made J's. The american made one's just seem to...organic. Not enough laquer for my tastes.

8. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    Nope... Love Fenders. Love G&L.... Love Leo !

9. !?!
    Whatever. I own a P and two J's, love 'em. I also own a Modulus Q4, Pedulla Thunderbass V fretless, Washburn acoustic, Westone rail, others. Love them all, for different reasons. Whatever works for you.

10. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I tried them and moved on, just not for me.
    But definately no disrespect for the many that like them.

11. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

i dont really like fenders either

12. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    era just personnal tastes tbh.. i have 3 jazzes and a P.. i love all basses bar spector and gibson, and highly figured exotic wood 5k basses... your not alone.. but tbh ive never played a american fender ive liked..

13. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    +1, though I did like the deluxe jazzes.

14. elpezpr

elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    PR
    I really like them but for some reason haven't kept any of them. It might be matter of time before I get another one unless I get the funds for another LowEnd.

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    All I can say is that the impact of Fender must be profound since people feel a need to let the world know they don't like them. If they weren't so common, and so copied, no one would feel a need to make such pronouncements. When was the last I don't like MTD, Skjold, or Warrior thread , for instance?

16. Melodic-
    my 2 cents-
    I love the fit and feel of a P style bass. Just the way it fits me when I play it and the simplicity of the controls.
    But it doesn't have to be a Fender. My current fave is an SX.

17. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    No disrespect, but you're a troll and not even an interesting one.

Hey, don't get mad. I said "no disrespect."

18. secombs

secombs

Oct 28, 2003
    St Louis, MO
    i have a jazz and a precision.. both american made reissues and i love them. If you find good fenders, they are fantastic basses for most situations.

oh.. and i play through an ampeg svt + 810. That tone really works for me..

just my two cents :)

19. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    dead-horse.