Anyone Big Fans of John Avilla?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Folmeister, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have been a major Oingo Boingo fan for a large chunk of my life, and I have found both of the bass players that played with them (Kerry Hatch, John Avilla) to be worthy of emulation. Anyone agree? Anyone have any amusing or informative tidbits to add?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

avilla is awesome

I was a big boingo fan when I first started playing music, I learned some of the sax lines and stuff when I played sax, then the bass lines when I took up bass.

he's a very good player, and he has a lot of style in his playing.

he was one of my first big influences.
  3. he's the little Asian guy right? He's awesome. I saw OB in concert several years ago and he was great...but he kept walking around in circles???
  4. Boingo has always been a great place to find killer players and hear wicked arrangements.

my first real exposure to Avila was back in '88 when his side project Food for Feet played a benefit in Hollywood for homeless teens.

they came out with the most rockin' version of "Tequila" EVER!! from there the show only got better.

if you can find the first EP by Food for Feet, with "Tequila" and "Cross Culture" on it, you're in for some great bass playing!

his playing on the disc Boingo, on cuts like "Suburban Wolves" and "I Am The Walrus" just kill me!

the fact that he can sing only makes him that much more impressive...

from the low end,

5. sorry, that should have been "Pedestrian Wolves"!

from the brain farting low end,