Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone blow fuses in their Mesa Boogie 400+?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by albass111, Mar 8, 2006.

1. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I did a rehearsal today and a fuse blew in my 400+. I haven't used it in a while. When it blew, there was a burnt smell. The tubes have less than 5 hours on them, and I don't know if this is going to be a chronic problem, because it has never happened before. I was running it from one of the 4ohm output jacks into a 8x10 SVT.

After an hour, I replaced the fuse, it powered back up, and sounded fine. However, I'm afraid to take it to a gig now.

Anyone have experience on this one?:confused:

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'd make sure all your tubes are seated properly and look healthy. I have a 400+ and have never had this happen.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Never had that problem with mine....

4. Fan on? I just leave mine on high all the time but it still gets fairly warm.

5. My daughter's guitar player (www.aroarah.com) was blowing fuses in her Mesa Triple Rectifier, and found it was tube time.

Using official Mesa tubes, the rig is self-biasing. Drop in the tubes, rock n roll.

6. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, Tubes are fairly new. (10 hours on them.) I'm not sure how to proceed. I want confidence back in my amp.

7. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I was on tour with my old Mesa 400+ a while back and it was blowing a fuse every few days. Turns out it was a cracked tube that was sucking in a little bit of air and causing it to go into "protect youself" mode. I replaced just the one cracked tube and it worked fine for years after. It could have happened by vibrations or by being jostled around too much...Doesn't have to be an "old" tube to go bad. Hope this helps you!

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Thats your daughter? I was at the Hinder show. I thought they were pretty good. My guitarist who was hanging out with me that night thought they wern't so great. I think he's scared of anyone female, just as most guitarist/vocalists are :p. I havn't had any of these problems with my 400+ either. Play it at home for a while and see if it blows another.

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I have blown the fuse on my Bass 400 on a few occassions. It was always due to a power tube being loose. Every time I transport my amp, I make sure all the power tubes are snug before going at it.

10. ModulusV

ModulusV

Mar 23, 2006
    Vancouver
    I blew the fuse the day I bought the amp over 10 years ago...I turned the master up just past 7 and the thing shut down. I have never tried it again and have never blown another fuse.