1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anyone bought a yamaha trb5??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vig, Apr 1, 2006.

1. vig

vig

Aug 21, 2005
    hi guys im planning a holiday to america in the near future and i want to buy a yamaha trb5 while im there but im finding it hard to find shops that stock these basses,has anyone bought one there and if so how much and even more importantly what do you think of these basses? i have found places that stock them in europe but like everything else in europe the price is through the roof. :help:

2. I have a TRB 5II that I bought second hand through a churchbass.org connection. I've seen them in stores in the $1200 - $1500 range, but I got mine for considerably less.

I mentioned in a Yamaha thread just last week that the sound was uncontrollably aggressive, and I eventually did a Bartolini transplant of both pickups and preamp.

I've been told that the original TRB, before the II model, was much better; apparently the electronics changed with the newer model. I'm pretty sure that the TRB JP has different electronics from the standard TRB.

Other than that, the bass is great; no complaints about construction.

3. vig

vig

Aug 21, 2005
    Thanks man that sounds like the ticket for me;ive heard them prices thrown around but wasnt sure if they were right as it clocks up at 2500 euros which is even more in dollars

4. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
  5. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Hi, I have original Japan TRB5 from 1993. It has excellent playability for me - 19 mm string spacing, 34" scale, low action. Sound is quite universal, but set flat it has middier sound good for cut through (some call it growl). The drawback for me is that it can't do typical J-bass emulation, sound is still "modern" to my ears. I am in Europe too and I might have this one for sale in couple of weeks. GASing for certain J-bass clone. Drop me PM if interested.

6. vig

vig

Aug 21, 2005
    cool thanks ill keep it in mind thanks for all the info guys ye were a big help!