1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone bought or tried a newer passive Fender Special Edition Deluxe PJ Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrick2099, Feb 2, 2018.

1. patrick2099

patrick2099

Feb 2, 2018
    I have been looking at the Fender Special Edition Deluxe PJ Bass, in Olympic White (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Special-Edition-Deluxe-PJ-Bass.gc), for a while. I see that it is $100 off at Guitar Center, but that sale only lasts one more day. I know that putting the self-induced timer on myself is a bad idea, but I'm not always known for making good decisions.

I have been playing guitar for about 30 years, but have never bought a bass, for some reason. I honestly know next to nothing about basses. I live two hours from any Fender dealers that carry a large selection, so I haven't been able to try many models, but I did try some Fender Americans, MIM Fenders, Squires, an Ibanez and an Epiphone.

The Jazz bass neck felt the best to me -- probably because I'm a guitar player. From the basses I tried, I think I prefer passive to active, unless there is a switch to disable the active. I like the idea of the P/J combo, to use mostly P with a little bit of J blended in.

On paper, the passive Fender Special Edition Deluxe PJ Bass checks about every box I'm looking for (passive, P/J, white or natural color). Reading through different reviews on here and elsewhere, it seems as though there was a $100 price increase, not too long ago, and I also read people saying they changed the bridge for a worse one.

I know that each instrument is unique, and I really prefer shopping in brick and mortar stores to online, so I know I am getting something I like, compared to something someone else likes. However, I seriously doubt I will be able to find this model without very long drive. As a lot of the info I have read on this model is a few years old, has anyone tried one recently who could share some thoughts?

Thanks a lot, and sorry for the novel.

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Greetings and welcome, Patrick!

I'm not sure, but I believe @jd56hawk had one of them in Seafoam Green. He might be able to give you some insight.

As far as getting a new, Olympic White P/J while it's still on sale seems to be a sensible choice, especially given Guitar Center's 45-day return/exchange policy.

I have a couple of alternate suggestion that carry a couple of "if's". If you don't mind black, you have a couple more options. You could get a used, Japanese-made Jazz Bass Special for considerably less (don't let the name confuse you…for some reason, Fender-Japan dubbed their Jazz-necked Precision P/J's "P-Bass Specials" o_O) from Guitar Center's used database. It's the same type of instrument Duff McKagan used on Guns 'n Roses "Appetite For Destruction".

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender/Jazz-Bass-Special-Electric-Bass-Guitar.gc

Another possibility is a used Fender Aerodyne. Are they white or natural? Generally not. Is it a Precision body? Sorry, no. However, they are a solid, passive P/J configured instrument and, as a bonus, are usually on the lighter side of the bass guitar spectrum due to their shape and basswood body. That might come in handy seeing how you're used to a much lighter instrument.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fe...g-Jazz-Bass-Electric-Bass-Guitar-113903933.gc

If any of that interests you, there are plenty of YouTube vids showcasing the Aerodyne.

jd56hawk likes this.
  3. patrick2099

patrick2099

Feb 2, 2018
    Thanks a lot for all of the info. I wouldn't have thought to look for those. Do you have any idea where the truss rod is on either model? I was originally looking at the Duff McKagan signature, but it looked like you have to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod, which seems like a giant hassle to me.

As long as a bass doesn't feel like it's made of stone, I don't think the weight will bother me much. I'm used to playing Les Paul Tradtionals, which aren't the lightest guitars.

It also looks like there is a decent deal on a Sunburst PJ ( Fender Fender Special Deluxe PJ MIM Bass Guitar Sunburst ) and a G&L Tribute L-2000 ( G&L Tribute L-2000 aughts Natural Gloss | HellishCashstrap ), which I was looking at on Reverb.

4. Malak the Mad

I know for a fact that the Aerodyne's truss rod nut is at the headstock. As for the JBS, it's an older model, so I couldn't say. However, you can always call the Guitar Center in question, have them look it over while you're on the phone (I always do this when I'm ordering a used bass I can't inspect myself) and ask them to email you some more detailed photos (I've also done this).

As for the Reverb listings, that does look like a pretty good deal, but I would definitely reach out to the seller to see if the gig bag comes with it. Also, be aware you only have a week to return it.

I've never tried out any G&L's before, so I can't comment on them, but there are plenty of people here on TalkBass who have. I'll bet a search for "G&L Tribute L-2000" would yield some results.

SJan3 likes this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Those natural G&Ls look even better with the maple fretboards...not sure but I think they're Japanese models.

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    wsnxfq.
    One of the few Fenders I'd buy.
    Had one but had to return it…financial…but I still grab one off the wall at Guitar Center occasionally and only found one bad one.
    Whoever said they changed the bridge for a worse one is just offering his opinion…and it's not a popular opinion, believe me.
    Plenty of info here:
    NBD...Fender Knocks It Out Of The Ballpark!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  7. patrick2099

patrick2099

Feb 2, 2018
    Thanks. I read a few of the threads on here, about that model, but hadn't seen that one. The longer the day goes on, there more and more I want to pull the trigger one of of these. I just can't decide between the new one, in the color I want, that I can send back if there are issues with it, or the used one, on Reverb, in sunburst, that I am probably stuck with if I don't like it. Guess I have a few hours to make up my mind.

jd56hawk likes this.
  8. Malak the Mad

I hate to play the role of "The Enabler", but saving $100 on any day is usually a good thing. Plus, you'd have something that checks off all your criteria and, from most accounts, appears to be a bass that will cover almost any situation. Plus, you'd be protected by a solid return/exchange policy.

However, if you're looking to save a few bucks more, and if sunburst is a reasonable second-choice, Guitar Center has a couple of used models. They're lower in cost and appear to be practically new (one still has the plastic on the pickup covers).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender/2016-Deluxe-Precision-Bass-Special-Electric-Bass-Guitar.gc
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender/Deluxe-Precision-Bass-Special-Electric-Bass-Guitar.gc

The return policy applies to used gear, but you'd be paying about $20 for the shipping. If you like the one in Salt Lake City, call the store and see if they'll price-match it against the one in Tulsa. I've talked more than a few bucks off a used item in the past and having other in-stock items to compare against helps.

9. shadowrider

shadowrider Gold Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    I bought one a few months back in the seafoam -- on sale (from what I could gather, you should be pretty much able to negotiate a sale price from GC on one of these even when it's not "on sale", which seems to be almost all the time...). I love the jazz neck on it. I took it to a tech that's highly regarded by some of the my local professional musician friends for the initial setup, and he thought it was a really nicely finished bass, and he liked the bridge just fine (even said I shouldn't be in a hurry to do much with the stock pups unless I had something specific tone-wise that I was aiming for, which I don't at this time).

10. patrick2099

patrick2099

Feb 2, 2018
    Thanks for the info. Glad to hear about the bridge and pickups. I was kind of wondering about them, since the last ceramic pickup I bought was a SD Super Distortion, back when MTV played music videos. I know very little about bass pickups.

11. shadowrider

shadowrider Gold Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Also, I've yet to see a picture that does the Sea Foam Pearl true justice -- much sweeter IRL. :thumbsup:

jd56hawk likes this.
  12. patrick2099

patrick2099

Feb 2, 2018
    I think all of the colors look pretty nice.

schadowrider likes this.
  13. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Indonesian. But they're excellent!

jd56hawk likes this.
  14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Made there, yes, but for the Japanese market, right?

15. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    This one's pretty good. You can actually see the glow.
    11brf4n.

schadowrider likes this.
  16. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Have you tried many basses? I’m a converted guitar player myself. I prefer the normal 34” scale, but many folks coming over from the six-string side like short-scale basses.

In that regard, Fender’s current Mustang PJ is getting much love at the moment. And it can be found far more cheaply than $700.

17. patrick2099

patrick2099

Feb 2, 2018
    I was looking at those, online, as well, but didn't have any of them in the store I was testing basses in. I may actually like the shorter scale better, as you said, but I'm worried about the small size fitting me well, since I'm a pretty large man.

18. Malak the Mad

Big McLargeHuge!
    Reef BlastBody!
    Bold BigFlank!
    Thick McRunFast!
    Bob Johnson! (No, wait…)
    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

19. patrick2099

patrick2099

Feb 2, 2018
    Big Belly Baggins, at the moment. I need to get back to the gym. Haha.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  20. patrick2099

patrick2099

Feb 2, 2018
    BTW, I just decided to go with what I originally wanted -- the Olympic White PJ one from Guitar Center. Listening to Malak or going with the used one on Reverb probably would have been the wise choice, but at least this way I'll get to try what I originally wanted, and not have to wonder. I don't know if I've ever done that the first time, before.

I really appreciate everyone's help on here -- especially taking the time to look up other similar models you thought I may like. That was really cool of you. Thanks again, everyone.

Malak the Mad and schadowrider like this.